Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how do you deal with an unsupportive spouse??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies
I have an anxiety disorder and my husband just does not understand what I deal with every day. He also hates the medication I take so I'm trying to wean off it slowly and I'm just feeling worse and worse. He isn't very supportive at all. How can I get him to understand??
Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Kick him between the legs and hide any pain reducers.  Tell him that is the very minimum how you feel without your medications.   I would not listen to him for medical care and trust that my doctor is doing their best.   How long have you been treated for the disorder?

mikala76
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I have ultra rapid cycling bipolar disorder, and my husband didn't understand either. For several years i took him to my appointments. He couldn't go to all of them, but boy it opened his eyes to what I struggle with on a daily basis. Most ppl are uneducated about any kind of mental illness, but once they get it, it's like the lights turned on.
ptkds
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah. Ignore him and do what's right for you. He obviously doesn't have MD behind his name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Off and on for years, but I have been self medicating for a couple yrs now with xanax and marijuana because we did not have insurance or money for me to see a psychiatrist. We just recently got insurance and I saw a psychiatrist for the first time Wednesday, he prescribed me xanax because that's what I was already taking, I'm supposed to be weaning off it though. he also gave me a new antidepressant but it makes me extremely nauseous and I can't take it. I'm not smoking pot anymore because it's not legal in my state. I think my family doctor initially diagnosed me in 2008 or 2009.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kick him between the legs and hide any pain reducers.  Tell him that is the very minimum how you feel without your medications.   I would not listen to him for medical care and trust that my doctor is doing their best.   How long have you been treated for the disorder?

Rhyinns.Mommy
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM
I'm so sorry about what your dealing with. Maybe bring him to an appointment so he can see what goes into it? My husbands had to deal with me and my crazyness and he's been kind and thoughtful all the way. But I know my parents never understood and just kinda shoved meds at me. So it can be tough. I don't think you should be taking yourself off the meds unless a doc says it's okay to.
polkaspots
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't. His feelings on your medication don't matter. He's not the one taking them. You do what's right for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM
I'm trying but it really hurts me when he calls me a crackhead because of the medication I'm taking. He apologized and I told him I didn't want an apology I just want him never to call me that again.

Quoting ptkds: Yeah. Ignore him and do what's right for you. He obviously doesn't have MD behind his name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I have SEVERE social anxiety, and my husband doesn't understand it at all either, so I can relate. I understand it's hard for people who don't have anxiety to understand it. I try not to get upset with my husband. I know it seems stupid and ridiculous. My advice is to help educate him about it. Google it together and let him read about it for himself. Make sure he knows what you're dealing with and that it's not voluntary. Don't stop your meds if YOU feel that they are helping. Don't ever let anyone dictate your self care. If it's not working for you and you agree with him about it, then talk to your doctor before you stop and see if there's something else you can try.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2014 at 8:00 PM
The doc told me to try and wean off them but it's not going so well. I'm shaky and so keyed up it's crazy. And I have only decreased my dosage by 25%.

Quoting Rhyinns.Mommy: I'm so sorry about what your dealing with. Maybe bring him to an appointment so he can see what goes into it? My husbands had to deal with me and my crazyness and he's been kind and thoughtful all the way. But I know my parents never understood and just kinda shoved meds at me. So it can be tough. I don't think you should be taking yourself off the meds unless a doc says it's okay to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Have you truly tried to explain it?  I had gastric bypass done years ago and when I met my husband he got my on so many levels that I just assumed he understood about the side effects of it.  He did not and we had a big fight because I took what he said wrong and he had no idea why I was so angry when he said I should just sleep more.  Anyways long story short I realized I never told him everything so he did not know.  Once I explained it he atleasts partially understands but we broke up because of that lack of communication.  Luckily we got back together a few days later but still...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)