Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Does she look like a pit bull?" Major Update

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM
  • 158 Replies
12 moms liked this

I made the "Does she look like a pit bull?" Post that you all were so helpful in.

We did adopt her from the kill shelter on May 5. I took her to the vet the next day for her shots and overall health check.

She tested positive for parvo virus. It was devastating. We couldn't afford the treatment, it would have been anywhere from $700 to $1,000. Our option was to take her back to the pound where she would be put down.

When I called the pound to inform them that they had a parvo case and needed to care for their other dogs, the guy had no pity for our puppy or our kids who already loved her. He told me we could bring her back for a refund then he hung up on me.

I couldn't stand the thought of taking her back there so I stayed up all night and found a parvo puppy icu! They rescue parvo positive pound puppies, Give them the best medical care and eventually homes if they survive. I asked them if they could sponsor her treatment.

They would treat her, But I wouldn't be able to take her home. They would have to adopt her out to recoup her costs.

It was heartbreaking, but it was her only chance. So on Wednesday my oldest and I made the 4 hour trip to the clinic.

When we got there, the receptionist told me our fees were covered! If our puppy survived we would get to take her home! I'm 95% sure my best friend paid for her treatment. I still can't believe it.

Today is our baby girl's second solid day in treatment and her first day eating food since Monday. I'm hopeful, But realistic. Parvo can be a deadly disease. I miss our puppy. But I am so thankful I found the organization abd that I have the best best friend in the world.

I just had to share it. Please send some positive thoughts for my Amelia.

Update 5/11:  She was able to eat a little more today and has not vomited all day.  The vet sounds very hopeful.  

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unsuspected
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Here she was the morning of our long drive to the clinic.
2babymomma
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

aww poor puppy. i hope she is able to come home to you soon

Birdseed
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow! That's amazing that they can do that.  So happy for you.  It's a really shitty shelter that doesn't protect dogs from this stuff.  I hope Amelia makes it.  And if someone paid for that treatment, well, they are earning some really good karma.

Good luck.

CampClan
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
What a blessing someone has even able to give you!
unsuspected
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:15 PM
4 moms liked this
They said she is doing well. If she keeps improving they will test her early next week. A negative result means we'll be able to bring her home.

Quoting 2babymomma:

aww poor puppy. i hope she is able to come home to you soon

KylesWifey
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
That's messed up that the shelter didn't care.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Good luck!

We had a dog survive as a puppy, and he was already shitting blood.
unsuspected
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM
I think theirs may be the only clinic like that in the nation, it's a miracle they were within driving distance of us.

And if it was my best friend, she won't admit to it, she sincerely has so much good will abd karma headed her way. She is the most selfless person I've ever known.

Quoting Birdseed:

Oh wow! That's amazing that they can do that.  So happy for you.  It's a really shitty shelter that doesn't protect dogs from this stuff.  I hope Amelia makes it.  And if someone paid for that treatment, well, they are earning some really good karma.

Good luck.

Jabojoe
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Agreed. Hope she gets better soon and comes home, OP!

Quoting Birdseed:

Good luck.

unsuspected
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM
They said they didn't test their dogs before adoption because they don't have a vet on staff. They were building a nice, new building it was under construction ... yet no budget for a vet?

I feel stupid that I didn't ask. All of my childhood dogs were pound puppies and they came screened abd current on their vaccines. I honestly didn't know a pound could adopt out sick puppies. I guess I was naive.

Quoting KylesWifey: That's messed up that the shelter didn't care.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)