Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Puppy pad help

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 9 Replies
My parents adopted a 2 year old dachshund from the local vet. She is a puppy mill breeder that was brought in to be put down because she wouldn't breed anymore. She can't bark, also a left over from the puppy mill.

She's been having accidents by the front door because she can't bark to let my mom know she needs out. My mom has her on a good schedule, but stuff happens. My mom was to puppy pad train her to avoid accidents.

Has anyone trained with them? I've always kennel trained and taught them to bark at the door. Any help would be awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Rhyinns.Mommy
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM
It's really easy, it is made so they will pee on the pad because of the smell (you can't smell it don't worry) it won't mess up crate training.
smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Puppy pads are nasty. Could she install a doggie door or train her to scratch the door? Barking is my dogs last resort when she needs out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2babymomma
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM

i used puppy pads to train my dog to go to the door when he wants out and he would scratch at the door instead of barking

Lostinindy
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:36 AM
The live on a farm so no fenced in yard. My mom is scared of her getting in the road and ran over by idiots driving 60 on dirt roads or going in the field and getting stepped on. My mom is deaf in one ear so she can't hear scratching. It sucks, hence why she's thinking puppy pads.

Quoting smalltownmom03: Puppy pads are nasty. Could she install a doggie door or train her to scratch the door? Barking is my dogs last resort when she needs out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seagodess
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM
I would never use puppy pads. They can confuse dogs. Hang bells on the door and teach the dog to ring the bells when it needs to go. That is how i potty trained my dog. She caught on really fast.
thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

my pug never barks to go outside... Plus im deaf and she never pees on the floor. Simply pay more attention to the dog and learn the routine and let the dog out.

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Dachshunds are very hard to house break due to having an abnormally small bladder. The accidents probably have nothing to do with her inability to bark or any flaws in scheduling. A puppy pad may be necessary, although a doggie door could work too...much more expensive though. But sorry OP, I have no advice for you.

Quoting smalltownmom03: Puppy pads are nasty. Could she install a doggie door or train her to scratch the door? Barking is my dogs last resort when she needs out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2014 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
The problem with puppy pads is that it teaches the dog that it's ok to urinate inside the house. I'm not sure if they want to maintain puppy pads for the next 10-12 years.

If they are going to go through the effort to train, they should train for the end result of having their pup urinate outside. Ringing a bell hung from the door knob (or hung from a command strip next to the door) is and easy signal for most dogs to learn. Show her the bell attached to the knob (a string will lower it to her level), jingle the bell, open the door, and put her outside. They will do this everytime they put her out. Within a few days she'll ring the bell on her own When your parents hear the bell ring they should immediately put her out to reinforce the signal. It shouldn't take more than a week for her to become an old pro.
smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I used to have a dog that would bring me his leash when he needed out. Maybe training the dog to do that would be an option?

Quoting Lostinindy: The live on a farm so no fenced in yard. My mom is scared of her getting in the road and ran over by idiots driving 60 on dirt roads or going in the field and getting stepped on. My mom is deaf in one ear so she can't hear scratching. It sucks, hence why she's thinking puppy pads.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)