Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My in-laws hate my adopted son.

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM
  • 547 Replies
11 moms liked this

And I don't care.

I still make DS interact with them as I believe it will make him a stronger person. It teaches him a valuable lesson - Not everybody is going to like you and it has nothing to do with you. They just don't like him because of his race and the fact he is not 'real family'.

Even though MIL is a complete bitch and refuses to call him by his name, it makes me proud that even at 8 he can be the bigger person and still always be on his best behviour and treat her with respect.

I've been told that this makes me a bad mother, that I allow him to be around people who obviously hold him in such high disdain, but I see that in doing so it has made him a stronger person.

What do you think? Should children be exposed or protected from people who dislike them? 

by on May. 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lostinindy
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:32 AM
171 moms liked this
I think as a parent we should protect our kids. It's him that has to deal with the pain of being rejected. Why make him be around people that don't like him? That to me is cruel and I'm sure you don't hang around people who hate you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 10, 2014 at 12:32 AM
79 moms liked this

I can see the benefits of exposing him. Honestly though, if I was in your situation, I would tell her that she needed to get over herself and call us when she decided to treat my child with respect.

catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM
5 moms liked this

It's not a choice I would make.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM
9 moms liked this
I can see what your doing will make him a better person but as a mom I could never do that to my kids. It would break my heart
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM
7 moms liked this
Amen!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I can see the benefits of exposing him. Honestly though, if I was in your situation, I would tell her that she needed to get over herself and call us when she decided to treat my child with respect.

chiefsfan91
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM
3 moms liked this
Poor kid :( I wouldn't make him be around them but still explain that some people suck and are just .."that way"
SendMeBabyDust
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM
53 moms liked this
mil would of been throat punched the very FIRST time she didn't acknowledge him . (ok not really but I would of corrected that shit) Disrespecting me is one thing, but my child ? hell . to . pay .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 10, 2014 at 12:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I would never allow dd to be around such trash that would dislike a child.  WOW

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 10, 2014 at 12:36 AM
14 moms liked this
I think you're wrong. Kids don't process things like we do as adults.
Emycf
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM
68 moms liked this

I would not do this to any child, but especially a foster or adopted child. These kids have already been through so much, no matter why they were adopted. To force him to be polite and respectful to people who are so nasty to him for such ignorant reasons is cruel. My job as a parent is to protect my kids, not be cruel to them. I would not allow people who are mean near my babies, foster, adopted or bio.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)