Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Power Outages Update #3

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
They suck. I can't use much on my tablet, Can't watch tv, Can't use the PS3. So I'm stuck on CM on my phone in the dark. LOL. Anyone want to entertain me until the power comes back on or my phone loses half its battery?

EDIT: How long does food stay good in the fridge during a power outage? I just bought groceries tonight. And don't want to end up throwing half of them away.

Update: We always sleep with the hall light on and my 5 year old son's door is open. Well he just woke up and freaked out so now he is in bed with us. Poor husband is going to be so tired tomorrow. Power has now been out for an hour and a half.

Update #2 It came on for a second, then went out again.

Update #3 It's back on! 3 and 1/2 hours later. Yay! Hopefully it stays on. Fingers crossed.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2014 at 3:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2014 at 4:01 AM
Nobody cares. Wahhhh! The stupid utilities website only says that there is a power outage. Nothing about how long they estimate it taking to get it back on. Not what caused it. Though that will probably take longer to figure out. And I just bought groceries tonight. Ugh.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2014 at 4:04 AM
Bump for edit
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 10, 2014 at 4:06 AM
Don't open the fridge and you'll have several hours of no power but the food will be fine. Maybe go take a snooze while the power is out.
TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on May. 10, 2014 at 4:07 AM
Just don't open the fridge and I give it a few hours.
csxt99
by Jennifer on May. 10, 2014 at 4:10 AM

As long as you keep the doors closed to the refrigerator and freezer, the food should be good for at least 12 to 13 hours.  We had bad storms and a 13-hour outage a few summers ago, and of course, it happened when we had a good amount of food in the frig and freezer.  Ours was out for 13 hours and we didn't lose the food. If it looks like it will be longer than 10-12 hours, buy ice and just stick it in the frig.  It will melt, but it might keep it cool enough to preserve the food.

alf2651
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Our power was out this evening too. They didn't tell us what happened (we guess that someone crashed into a pole again), just that it would be on by 10. It came on around midnight, lol. They told us to go online for more information. I was like "Now how am I supposed to do that?!" 

Brielle.Jude
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 4:11 AM
That sucks... i have no clue how long things would last in the frige. Probably 3-4 hours? Sorry you are having such a shitty night. I just had to call the non emergency line because our neighbors were being assholes and being loud and drunk outside. Bumping their music. Waking my kids! >=[ like seriously...they have a pretty big house, im sure they can stand to take thier party inside past 10.
Brielle.Jude
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 4:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I found this, it has a whole list of food.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/refridg_food.html
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2014 at 4:16 AM
Like when you call to figure out problems with your internet and they say you can go online to "site" to correct your problem or chat with a csr online. Right, I will get right on that with my nonexistant internet. LOL

Quoting alf2651:

Our power was out this evening too. They didn't tell us what happened (we guess that someone crashed into a pole again), just that it would be on by 10. It came on around midnight, lol. They told us to go online for more information. I was like "Now how am I supposed to do that?!" 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2014 at 4:16 AM
Thank you!

Quoting Brielle.Jude: I found this, it has a whole list of food.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/refridg_food.html
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)