Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Arkansas Validates Same-Sex Marriage!!!

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Read the quote below from the ruling of the Arkansas judge who invalidated the state's law against gay marriage:

"Loving v. Virginia was a landmark civil rights decision of the United States Supreme Court which invalidated laws prohibiting interracial marriage.The case was brought by Mildred Loving, a black woman, and Richard Loving, a white man, who had been sentenced to a year in prison in Virginia for marrying each other.

Their marriage violated the state's anti-miscegenation statute, the Racial Integrity Act of 1924, which prohibited marriage between people classified as "white" and people classified as "colored". The Supreme Court's unanimous decision held this prohibition was unconstitutional, overturning Pace v. Alabama (1883) and ending all race-based legal restrictions on marriage in the United States."

We will be stronger for it.

by on May. 10, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texor
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM

BUMP!

Josie_P
by on May. 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM
That is awesome! I love how they used that comparison about different races not being allowed to marry at one point in time. That's crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on May. 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Good. However, I suspect there will be a lot of resistance considering AR's general conservative values.
Texor
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM

SCOTUS is going to eventually make same-gender marriage legal everywhere.  It's going to happen in les than five years.  Mark my words.  :-)

Quoting Chris030406: Good. However, I suspect there will be a lot of resistance considering AR's general conservative values.

Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on May. 10, 2014 at 3:53 PM
I hope so. I seriously don't understand why it's such an issue, but it obviously is for some crazies out there.

Quoting Texor:

SCOTUS is going to eventually make same-gender marriage legal everywhere.  It's going to happen in les than five years.  Mark my words.  :-)

Quoting Chris030406: Good. However, I suspect there will be a lot of resistance considering AR's general conservative values.

Texor
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM

People feel threatened by what they don't understand.

It flies in the face of the religious beliefs many hold.  The good news is that this country was not founded ON the religious beliefs of anyone, but rather freedom.  And freedom to marry is a cornerstone of that. 

Quoting Chris030406: I hope so. I seriously don't understand why it's such an issue, but it obviously is for some crazies out there.
Quoting Texor:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Hooray!
kcangel63
by Freebirther on May. 10, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
YAY!
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Utah is fighting it as well and their conservative faction will lose.

Like interracial marriage... We are seeing the light at the end if the tunnel. Feels momentous.

Quoting Texor:

People feel threatened by what they don't understand.

It flies in the face of the religious beliefs many hold.  The good news is that this country was not founded ON the religious beliefs of anyone, but rather freedom.  And freedom to marry is a cornerstone of that. 

Quoting Chris030406: I hope so. I seriously don't understand why it's such an issue, but it obviously is for some crazies out there.

Quoting Texor:

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Yay!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)