Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Home owners:

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

Lets say in the past 5 years of owning your home what have you had to replace?? How much did it cost you?? Would you ever go back to renting y or why not??

Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Had to replace? Our heater. It still worked but was on it's last legs. THe new heater, some new duct work and a new chimney liner - 6000

we had to replace a the flat part of our kitchen roof that was abou 600

We did replace 4 large windows, that was 4,000.

We have done a lot more to the house, but that was in remodeling /fixing it up.

We've owned this house since jan 2007 and the only thing to actually break down was our air unit, and that just need to be serviced, 170 dollar two years ago

I imagine when IM older , much older and no longer able to climb stairs and no need for  larger yard, I might go back to renting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Washer, dryer, stove, furnace/ac...sucks to own, sucks to rent.

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM
In five years... Fridge, stove, garage roof, furnace, and house roof. Total I guess around 15k. No, I would rather own than rent.
ajelove
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Our home was newly built, so we haven't had to replace anything ourselves. Our shower door kept coming out of the wall...the warranty covered it.

I like having my own home, but I think renting is over all better. Renting houses in our area is ridiculously expensive. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Only just bought our first home last sept. But since we already had to replace the water tank, I'll pipe in. It cost the 75$ our homeowners ins required. So not bad. And they fixed it right away, which was great.

And I wouldn't go back to renting unless we had too. I like that our money is being invested into something, and not just someone else's pocket. Plus, almost every rental we had, there were no big issues. The little ones we fixed ourselves anyway. Plus, dh is super handy.
4Dragons
by on May. 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Nothing has needed to be replaced yet. There's a lot of stuff that it would be good to replace (like our water heater in particular) but everything functions so it's not usually on my radar of stuff we need to get/do.

I personally would not go back to renting. Too expensive - we pay less for the house we own than we would to rent a similar sized house. Plus I really like having the freedom to do whatever I want to the house, as far as painting and remodeling and such.

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM
In five years in one house, a window for $300. We also redid the bathroom added carpet and had an ac unit installed. Those upgrades cost $12,000 we bought the house for $50,000 and sold it for $90,000 ;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Past 2.5 years:   
Had
 to replace some flooring but ended up doing the entire level of the house for fun.    
A couple kitchen apliances and the washing machine.    Some windows & sliding door for better efficiency.   Electric is in bad shape and needs upgrade asap.     
There is a support beam-wall that  have dry rot and need replacing asap.   
Some wood fencing around the yard. 

Gosh...   this is depressing!!

But no, no more renting.  We are establishing this to be our place.   It feels worth it.

NeonGirl9583
by on May. 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM
We haven't had to replace anything!
bothsidesofcoin
by on May. 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Our house was built in 1926. I've replaced the garbage disposal-it was replaced 2 times in 3 years, a ceiling fan, and a leak in the shower. Some other minor repairs like a door knob. Replaced dishwasher and bought a matching stove-didn't need it but dammit I wanted it. Replaced part of the back deck. Replaced bedroom doors upstairs. Fix the heater. No major repairs (all were under $300 a piece) but still a pain in the butt. But it'll be mine when I pay it off. I prefer it to renting-the money is going to something and on top if it having someone what you can and can't do in order to live there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN