Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: What do you believe about the origin of the universe?

Options:

Young Earth Creation

Old Earth Creation

Theistic Evolution

Evolution

Other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 43

View Results

Just another friendly poll. I am a Christian and I believe in Theistic Evolution (God guided evolution as science understands it) However many MANY Christians I know are Young Earth Creationists (The age of the Earth is determined by the Genesis account and the universe is only several thousand years old). So many Christians are YEC that when I bought homeschooling curriculum this year I had to buy a secular science curriculum because all the Christian based kind was Intelligent Design YEC. Anyway I've been looking into all the different theories and it made me curious. Which do you believe?

P.S. I don't believe that you have to believe in any certain creation account to be saved. The only requirement to salvation is belief and acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Some will say that you can't be a Christian if you do not take the Genesis accounts literally, but no one takes the Bible 100% literally. If you did you would stone to death disobedient children and women who divorce their husbands. You would have no problem with slavery. You would not speak in church and would cover your heads. You wouldn't wear mixed fabric. So please, do not accuse anyone of not being a "true Christian." If they accept Christ they are a Christian. The rest is between them and God.

by on May. 11, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Replies (21-28):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM
3 moms liked this
Aliens. That is all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM
This is Cafemom, not a NASA intelligence conference. This poll will end up being a poll with MAYBE 100 people, certainly not a large enough sample to be scientifically conclusive in the first place. You are making mountains out of molehills.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because the level of scientific literacy in ths country is so low (general statement, not about any individuals here) that I honestly believe that there are many people discussing and debating evolution who have no real idea what it is really about.  The way to start an intelligent discussion is to be clear and precise about what we are talking about.  It isn't unimportant semantics when the poll is based on these terms.

Quoting Anonymous: Anyone with a shred of common sense understands what OP meant. Why are you arguing semantics?

Quoting Anonymous:

Your poll specifically asked about the origin of the universe, which evolution has nothing to do with.  And evolution also has nothing to do with how geology is "placed". 

Quoting HipsterElephant:

Yes I know that. I believe in the big bang. BUT many Christians reject evolution as an answer to how human beings were made and how plants and geology were placed. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Evolution is not a theory about the origin of the universe. It s a theory about the creation and change of species of organisms through time.  And you are homeschooling? You need to educate yourself further.

HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Hilarious! Wish you would have posted the meme! lol

Quoting Anonymous: Aliens. That is all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM

What is old earth creation?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

S'allright.  You think I'm fussy, I think it's better to be accurate. Different styles. Hipster is the one I was pretty rude too, and she's cool with it. As you say, just a cm post.

Quoting Anonymous: This is Cafemom, not a NASA intelligence conference. This poll will end up being a poll with MAYBE 100 people, certainly not a large enough sample to be scientifically conclusive in the first place. You are making mountains out of molehills.
Quoting Anonymous:

Because the level of scientific literacy in ths country is so low (general statement, not about any individuals here) that I honestly believe that there are many people discussing and debating evolution who have no real idea what it is really about.  The way to start an intelligent discussion is to be clear and precise about what we are talking about.  It isn't unimportant semantics when the poll is based on these terms.

Quoting Anonymous: Anyone with a shred of common sense understands what OP meant. Why are you arguing semantics?
Quoting Anonymous:

Your poll specifically asked about the origin of the universe, which evolution has nothing to do with.  And evolution also has nothing to do with how geology is "placed". 

Quoting HipsterElephant:

Yes I know that. I believe in the big bang. BUT many Christians reject evolution as an answer to how human beings were made and how plants and geology were placed. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Evolution is not a theory about the origin of the universe. It s a theory about the creation and change of species of organisms through time.  And you are homeschooling? You need to educate yourself further.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Evolution has nothing to do with the origins of earth or origions of the universe. 

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

ITA.... I love how the other anon seems to think that we are suppose to know that the OP just intentionally used the wrong word to appease YEC instead of thinking that she had her terminology confused. Why not use the correct terminology to begin with? To play along with their lack of education is only going to give them more to base their falsehoods on.

Quoting Anonymous:

S'allright.  You think I'm fussy, I think it's better to be accurate. Different styles. Hipster is the one I was pretty rude too, and she's cool with it. As you say, just a cm post.

Quoting Anonymous: This is Cafemom, not a NASA intelligence conference. This poll will end up being a poll with MAYBE 100 people, certainly not a large enough sample to be scientifically conclusive in the first place. You are making mountains out of molehills.
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HipsterElephant:

Quoting Anonymous:

Brandyns87
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM
I believe in the ancient alien theory, but I still consider myself a Christian. God made the aliens. God guided them in making us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)