Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 1st grader is always being sent home from school (poig) Edited**

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM
  • 101 Replies

IDK what to do anymore! We have tried everything. I have spanked, used time outs, rewards for good behavior. The school has tried all the tricks they have. I have him in counseling. But he just wont stop throwing fits! The sit on the floor and kick your legs kind of fits. I need advice. I am a single mom and can't keep taking time off work to pick him up in the middle of the day. He has not father in his life, so I can't turn to anyone else.

Edit**

Options are not-
For me to stay home with him and make it hard- I have to work.
 Change Daycares- they are the only one in town that picks up from school(only when school is out) and I have 2 other kids who have to be picked up
Have the school send him to a different room- Tried it, he started hurting himself
Make special time for the others to see when he is missing by misbehaving- This just makes him act even worse (though that doesn't change the fact that I have already taken away his Nentendo DS, TV, and all his extras at home) 

by on May. 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Well it works for him! He knows exactly how to not be in school. If the consequence was different the behavior would stop.
booboobear12
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Maybe it's the teacher or maybe it's too easy and he's bored
svolkov
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Talk to his pedi but my guess is he is getting exactly what he wants. The schoolneeds to deal with it better there.. what is he throwing fits about? Does he do this at home?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM
You have to figure out why he is doing it. He is getting something out of his misbehavior
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM
I feel your pain. I have no idea why he's behaving like he is. My seven year old has always been a proper little boy, not anymore and idk wtf to do either!!
MysticLove
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM

What consequence would stop it? That is what I need!

Quoting Anonymous: Well it works for him! He knows exactly how to not be in school. If the consequence was different the behavior would stop.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

For my son what finally worked was just quietly getting down to his level and asking him what is wrong and how can I help. I find remaining calm helped because I used to get frustrated and yell and it only made it worse then he would yell at me and slam doors. Im not saying its been like magic but he usually calms down faster and mostly tells me what is wrong. Also distraction helps lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this

IMO spanking and yelling are a nono. NOT because I think moms who do it are evil or abusing their kids but a child who is already upset and then hit for having emotions...no it just doesnt work. As annoying as their behaviour is to us they cant help the giant surge of emotions so we need to help them to deal with that and not look at it as them being bad but as them needing help reglating themselves

MysticLove
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I have done this from the beginning. He just says things like they are mean to him (mean as in telling him that it is time to come in from recess)

Quoting Anonymous:

For my son what finally worked was just quietly getting down to his level and asking him what is wrong and how can I help. I find remaining calm helped because I used to get frustrated and yell and it only made it worse then he would yell at me and slam doors. Im not saying its been like magic but he usually calms down faster and mostly tells me what is wrong. Also distraction helps lol 

Torihoney5njn
by Kristy on May. 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM
There's a kid in my sons class who is defiant and pitches fits and if he goes too far he spends the day with the principal (male) doing his work. He listens to the males in his life. He also doesn't have a dad.

Hope he snaps out of it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN