Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Found out today...update

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 12:13 AM
  • 103 Replies
That DDs teacher has been tutoring several students after school who are in danger of repeating Kindy.

Since DD is in that group, tomorrow morning I will be asking her teacher why this was never mentioned to me when I asked what help was available for my DD.

I will be nice and respectful when I ask about it.

Any suggestions on how I can calmly address this? Because I was pretty pissed when DH came home from the park after talking to the dad of one of DDs classmates who is getting this special tutoring.

I am seriously considering pulling her out of this school and sending her somewhere else...

Update: Spoke with her teacher this afternoon at pick up. The tutoring is reserved for children who do not have parental support. Her teacher told me that she knows I spend 3 to 4 hours a day tutoring her and she can tell that my DD is doing much better because of my help. She is not in danger of not passing kindergarten. She feels that if we keep doing what we are doing in addition to summer school she will be fine for first grade. Thank you to the moms who genuinely tried to give me suggestions on how to bring this up with her teacher. My husband and I greatly appreciate your input! Thank you.
by on May. 12, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:14 AM
She doesn't have to tutor your child.
It's not her job to tutor your child. If you want a tutor find one.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
So you never knew dd was at risk to fail??? Or you knew Nd she wasnt included in the group? Perhaps theyhad to meet other criteria as well?
ColieO
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM
10 moms liked this
How does one fail kindergarten?
elfling811
by Niki on May. 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM
I have been meeting with the teacher almost weekly to see what can be done to help her. She was born on the cut off date and is having trouble focusing. I have also asked her what other programs were available to help her get promoted to first grade. I was never told tutoring was an option. I have been working with this teacher about this issue since September.

Quoting svolkov: So you never knew dd was at risk to fail??? Or you knew Nd she wasnt included in the group? Perhaps theyhad to meet other criteria as well?
elfling811
by Niki on May. 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM
They have a list of benchmarks that they have to meet in order to be promoted to first grade. So far she meets all of them except for three. There are approximately 25 on the sheet that I am given with each review.

Quoting ColieO: How does one fail kindergarten?
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on May. 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Perhaps the other students were in much more need.
Usually they stick to children who have no parental involvement.
elfling811
by Niki on May. 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM
So it is ok for her to tutor some kids that are in danger of repeating a grade for free, but not others?

Gotcha.

Quoting matofour: She doesn't have to tutor your child.
It's not her job to tutor your child. If you want a tutor find one.
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Perhaps there are other issues going on besides not focusing
elfling811
by Niki on May. 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM
This is what I want to find out about. I want to know why it wasn't offered to us.

Quoting Retrokitty: Perhaps the other students were in much more need.
Usually they stick to children who have no parental involvement.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Hmm thats odd. I would just ask why your dd wasnt able . Both of my oldest were at cut off as well
Luckily no academic issues but hyper inattentive behavior was a prob with oldest

Quoting elfling811: I have been meeting with the teacher almost weekly to see what can be done to help her. She was born on the cut off date and is having trouble focusing. I have also asked her what other programs were available to help her get promoted to first grade. I was never told tutoring was an option. I have been working with this teacher about this issue since September.

Quoting svolkov: So you never knew dd was at risk to fail??? Or you knew Nd she wasnt included in the group? Perhaps theyhad to meet other criteria as well?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)