Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moved into a new apartment in February, been sick ever since? *UPDATED WITH PICTURES

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies

We moved in in Feb, I've been getting sick about every 2 weeks. For the past 6 weeks I've had a runny nose/sore throat (on and off) and been sneezing.

Could it be mold?

What can I do to check it?

The first picture is under the sink in the kitchen. I never use that space, but when I open the cabinet doors it smells very musky. The second picture is in our bathroom.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 12, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashandmasysmom
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:28 AM
going through this now. Look under kitchen sinks, under cabinets anywhere where there may be moisture. You can also buy a home testing kit at home depot. Ours came out positive and now I am fighting landlord to fix it.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on May. 12, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Buy a home testing kit. I think you can find them at big box hardware stores.
SoCalTx
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:32 AM
There could be mold under the carpet or in the vents you could have a mold issue. Hope you get better soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2014 at 12:33 AM

I think there was a mold issue before - under the kitchen sink there is water damage but no sign of mold. There is no carpet in the entire unit, just tile floor. And our bathroom - between the sealant there looks to be mold but I can't tell if it's just unique to the title in the bathroom/shower or if it could be indicitive of a bigger problem. Not sure how to test for it in the walls with a kit, kwim?

Gingered
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I agree with others, get a mold kit. Mold can not only make you terribly ill allergy wise, it can cause neurological problems.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 12, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Can you talk with a Dr? If there's a mold problem fighting the landlord could be hard but having paper from the Dr could be a start to fix it?
svolkov
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Also check the vents. Dirty vents /heating systems can wreak havoc on your respitory
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 12, 2014 at 12:38 AM
All those places you're talking about typically can have mold... but that's not what I would be looking for because if it's mold that's making you sick it's not from a previous leak under the sink. (Or it's very unlikely) look around you window seals and see if you see damage. Check the outside if you can and see if there's any places where it is obvious there water leaking in.
MonstersMomma26
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Definitely check your air vents and even have someone come check your a/c.. your furnace and all that. Hubby deals with this from time to time at work. (He owns a heating and air business..) good luck! Hope you find the cause and get well soon!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2014 at 12:52 AM

I updated with pictures. Just really upset at the thought of it because I am pregnant and feel awful that I am possibly endangering my unborn child. :/ It doesn't appear to be damaged anywhere else - I haven't checked the vents but will have DH check when he gets back. I guess I can call the management company and ask if there's a history or what their policy on this is.

Quoting Anonymous: All those places you're talking about typically can have mold... but that's not what I would be looking for because if it's mold that's making you sick it's not from a previous leak under the sink. (Or it's very unlikely) look around you window seals and see if you see damage. Check the outside if you can and see if there's any places where it is obvious there water leaking in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)