Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Getting evicted because of our special needs daughter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

We have lived here for about 2 weeks.  When we signed the lease our daughter was at school but we told him about her (not that she has down syndrome) and that she was 7.  Fast forward to yesterday.  A pipe broke under our sink so we called him to take care of it/have someone come take care of it (we shut off our water).  When he came, my daughter (who has down syndrome) said, "hi, nice to meet you."  He looked at her with disgust and walked to the kitchen.  He called a plumber.  When he was leaving, my daughter said "bye" not realizing that he was grossed out or whatever it was by him.  Today, we get an eviction notice saying that our daughter did damage to the apartment.  That is NOT the case.  We have pictures of when we moved in and we took pictures today (both of them have the date of when they were taken on them).  Can he legally evict us?  Should I be getting a lawyer?  I live in So. California.  

ETA:  Hubby just got home from work.  He will be taking tomorrow off and we will be talking to/finding a lawyer and putting down a retainer with the one we like.  Hubby is pissed.  We will be moving, but will have to come up with a deposit and first months rent before we can move.  The plumber said the drains were old and all of them are overdue to be replaced.  So, that is nothing on our part.  I love this place, but don't want to deal with this landlord or have an eviction on our records.  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 12, 2014 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
curvygurl1912
by Renee on May. 12, 2014 at 1:28 AM
That is illegal.
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:28 AM
Lawyer up.
MaeBell4
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:29 AM

I would get a lawyer. He can not evict you. I would DEFF get a lawyer. 

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Lawyer.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM
If you have photos I doubt he can. What did she supposedly do?
Keara20
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM
What the actual fuck!!!
booaura
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Get a lawyer, that's illegal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Completely illegal. But honestly - I'd leave anyway - I wouldn't want to live in a place where my child would be at the risk of being treated like shit.

1TallMamaCA
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:31 AM
You think he's evicting you because she has downs?

In so cal renters have all the rights. Did the plumber say someone caused the damage? Look up you countys ten at rights.
cfcf
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:32 AM
Why would he think that? What was wrong with your pipe? Was something put down the drain? I don't even know how someone could intentionally break a pipe without seriously force.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN