Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To me this seems a little ridiculous but wondering what you ladies think

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 8:04 AM
  • 481 Replies
4 moms liked this

My dd is in the 6th grade (middle school in our school district). She as an adgenda (notbook that she writes all her assignments in) Her teachers insist in be signed every night ( no this is not new has been going on since the start of the school year). I feel that by middle school you are a young adult and know enough to get your home work done and don't need your parents hovering over you making sure you do your work and don't need them signing saying that you showed them what all homework you have. I tried to speak to the teacher about it but they bascially told me I should just do it because the other parents do. Anyway just so that it gets done I sign for a week a head. Well I guess the teacher just figured that out and crossed it out and told dd that I have to resign and that I'm not allowed to do it that way that I MUST SIGN EACH DAY AND ONLY FOR THAT DAY NOT AHEAD. Guess she was really upset that I wasn't looking each night.

So my question is does this seem ridiculous to anyone eles?

Let me add I trust my dd to get her homework done she knows school is important and that homework is part of school. She does all her work and studies hard. She is on Merrit Roll and often turns projects in before they are due, so I'm not worried about her saying she has no homework because she doesn't want to do it.

ETA: Going to add that I am not refusing to sign and that I will go back to doing it every night. I only signed for a week ahead for one or two weeks teacher just had her little fit about it friday. I was doing it save dd frustration and keep her for catching backlash if I forgot. I do know what homework she has becase I ask and see her doing it. I am going to go back to signing it each night , but I still think it's silly but will do it for my dd. For thoes of you that are calling me lazy never once did I say I refuse or will refuse to sign it so I am not being lazy just frustrated. I disagree with the policy and it's not a school wide one just one that dd's team of 6th grade teachers has (there are two) Also only one of her teachers had an issue with me doing it ahead.

For thoes that think that I'm teaching my daughter to cheat but signing ahead by a week, aren't I also teaching her that it's okay to do something just because everyone eles is doing so instead of thinking for herself?

ETA again: I don't think it's that hard to do or anything just silly I will be doing so as we finish out the year and hope that we don't have to in 7th grade. If we do then I will bite my toung and do so but I will still find it silly.

by on May. 12, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
embrigmom
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:06 AM
10 moms liked this

also for whatever reason the teachers want them to get every test signed no matter the grade. Failing or passing 50 or 100 still needs to be signed. I think they are treating the kids like they are still in elemtary school.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM
10 moms liked this
I agree. My parents stopped checking my homework by age 10 or so, because it wasn't really necessary. That's a good strategy if kids aren't doing their work, but a waste if time for responsible kids.
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM
8 moms liked this

IDK. I kind of feel like it's a good idea.. wouldn't bother me.

bump for ya.

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's ridiculous
MrsCountryMama
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My 6th grader has to do the same and yes i think it's ridiculous. Even if there's no homework i have to sign it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 12, 2014 at 8:09 AM

It was the same way when my girls were in middle school, in our home they were responsible for their own homework, and part of that HW was getting me to sign some silly agenda book, so i signed ( never looked at the HW, just signed when they brought the book for me to sign.

Im not getting why its such a big deal to you to just sign a book every night, and if your kid forgets to ask you, thats on your kid not you.

BTW when they get to high school , they still have the agendas, they have to have them all the time as thats where the hall passes are, a teacher signs a certain part of the book and theres a list of all the hall passes you used all year long.   Parents dont have to sign these though.

Octobersmom
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this

We had to do that too.  Our parents all complained that it was teaching us a lack of responsibilty and the signatures were no longer required, only the agenda book (those are great to learn to use, very helpful in high school, college and beyond).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM
We only need to sign for tests. It's not a big deal signing for hw. It takes a second. Are they capable of making sure their hw is completed? Yes. But it's not a big deal to just simply sign the hw either.
southern.momof2
by Pirate on May. 12, 2014 at 8:11 AM
17 moms liked this
Youre making a big deal out of nothing.
mrsmoonbeam
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Yep it is do they expect you to do it in highschool and beyond? its stupid
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN