I refuse to buy my child ANYTHING that I consider a want!
When DD was 9, she threw seveal tanturm style fits about how I dont provide for her, she never has the food she like, name brand clothes, or anything and I am a horrible parent because of it. This was not my child. The child I raised would never have said these things to me! So after talking with Dh we came up with a plan of attack!
1. I ONLY buy the things she needs. basic clothing for school, hygiene products and of course food.
- as far as clothes she gets 1 new pair of basic tennis shoes, and one pair of basic dress shoes every fall and spring. I will only purchase a few pairs of pants/shorts/skirts and dresses and shirts each season as well.
She likes a certain kind of toothpaste and the family as a whole doesnt like it, so she must buy it herself.. stuff like that
2. She must buy everything extra herself. this includes extra clothing, supplies that are diffrent or extra from what I purchase, or sugary snacks.
3. The money neccesary for these purchases will NOT come from Dh or I! (she has had a list of items to do each week for the neighbor since she was 7 and gets paid $15 a week)- so she has the money!!!
4. she is expected to save some of the money every month whether it be 10 dollar or more!
that was a year ago! and what I diffrence It has made!!! DD went from being a spoiled brat to a respectful please and thank you saying child! Dh and I are thinking of slacking off on this approach but I cant bring myself to do it! What if she backslides and resumes bratty behavior again? Not sure I could handle that..