Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How much influence does/did your family have on your choice of partner?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM
  • 132 Replies

Would you be with, marry, have children with someone your family didn't like?  

Saying that you had/have a good relationship with your family, would you risk that for love? 

by on May. 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 12, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
If my family didn't like him, it would be for a good reason. It would make me reevaluate the relationship for sure.
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:45 AM

yes

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 12, 2014 at 8:46 AM
3 moms liked this

Absolutely zero influence......my family is famous for divorce, I didn't want their input.  Unless you consider the fact that my cousin introduced me to my husband.... 

TheFairest
by Zombie on May. 12, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
DH was accepted from the beginning. My family loves him.
booaura
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
None. I married him, not my family. My parents and older sibs weren't crazy about him, or about me getting married and having kids so young, or about the age difference between us. They're ok with him now, still not that happy, but I love my husband and we are happy.
Bubbie0809
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Quoting Anonymous: If my family didn't like him, it would be for a good reason. It would make me reevaluate the relationship for sure.

And while ultimately my choice worked out and they really like him.  I think the fact that at first they didn't, made him more attractive to me at 18. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 12, 2014 at 8:49 AM
They had zero influence, I chose who I wanted and if the didn't like him then oh well. My family has loved my husband from day one so it wasn't an issue.
4Dragons
by on May. 12, 2014 at 8:49 AM

None. But even if my family didn't like my partner, they wouldn't show it. Like, I'm guessing no one legitimately likes my mother's scumbag boyfriend, but everyone is very nice and civil to him (or ignore him as much as possible and hope he goes away, in my case). 

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:51 AM

If my family had any say my relationships, I wouldn't be where I am now.

My family hated my DH to start with.  They've since gotten the fuck over themselves but if I let them decide my fate, I wouldn't have my two amazing children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 12, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
This time none. My last marriage ended in divorce I took my families advice into consideration when we started dating. This time I hid our relationship until I knew exactly how I felt about him. When I did introduce him to everyone the consensus was he was too young, 5yrs difference, and what would a 23 yr old want with a divorced mother of two. Six years later we are still happy, my children have the best stepfather, and my whole family loves him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)