Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have a child with Autism? Do family members not believe it's real?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM
  • 89 Replies

Do you have Family Members who don't believe your child's Autism is real? If so, what do they attribute your child's struggles to? How have you dealt with this ignorance?

Your answers could be included in an upcoming post on The Stir.

by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micksmom2
by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I have a child who has autism.  At first, I think that a few people in my husband's family thought I was over reacting to my son's medical issues (he had physical delays), but over time, they get it.  They've been around him enough now to know that he has a neurological difference that makes him react the way he does.

rockchickmom
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I don't but my two sister's have a child each with a spectrum of Autism I don't really understand it. I struggle to cope with their behaviour. TO me it's bad behaviour and they don't get taught good behaviour. I couldnt handle a child with autism and since I am a first time mom at 41 I had trouble thinking about down syndrome and also austim but my son is only 10mths old. I still worry, as my nephew was perfectly *normal* until 18months before he stopped talking and looking at people, he's three now and talks looks at people. My niece has adhd, austim, sensory problems among other problems I don't remember... she doesn't understand things are dangerous and she's has an eating disorder she will eat everything and anything and the fridge has to be locked. She will do dangerous things, stupid things and I seriously don't understand autism. I avoid her. I won't babysit her I won't take her to my house because I don't know what she's going to do next. I dont let her near my son because she just doesn't understand what's dangerous and what's not and I believe she'll hurt him or feed him something he can't have... she scares me. Sad I know.

A_McCool
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have an autistic child.  I'm autistic.  I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome as an adult.  I don't know what my family thinks about it because the only person that knows about my diagnosis is my husband.

SithMom71
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I have had relatives think and tell me my boys don't "look" autistic. And that all they need is an ass beating. I don't speak to them anymore.

The ex's immediate family doesn't like to admit that their gene pool could have possibly contributed to their having autism. I don't deal with them anymore either.
Though an aunt & uncle and some cousins of the ex's adore the boys and have no problems accepting them. I still talk to them.
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM
4 moms liked this

If I were one of your sisters I would disown you. It is not the child's fault it is not the kid just being a brat or poor parenting. You are seriously ignorant! Would you feel the same were the child physically handicapped or do you just have a special disdain for autism because it is a mental disorder? 

Quoting rockchickmom:

I don't but my two sister's have a child each with a spectrum of Autism I don't really understand it. I struggle to cope with their behaviour. TO me it's bad behaviour and they don't get taught good behaviour. I couldnt handle a child with autism and since I am a first time mom at 41 I had trouble thinking about down syndrome and also austim but my son is only 10mths old. I still worry, as my nephew was perfectly *normal* until 18months before he stopped talking and looking at people, he's three now and talks looks at people. My niece has adhd, austim, sensory problems among other problems I don't remember... she doesn't understand things are dangerous and she's has an eating disorder she will eat everything and anything and the fridge has to be locked. She will do dangerous things, stupid things and I seriously don't understand autism. I avoid her. I won't babysit her I won't take her to my house because I don't know what she's going to do next. I dont let her near my son because she just doesn't understand what's dangerous and what's not and I believe she'll hurt him or feed him something he can't have... she scares me. Sad I know.

BEXi
by BEXi on May. 12, 2014 at 9:28 AM
4 moms liked this

Sad is right. Youre talking about your own family like they are scum.

I REALLY hope for your child's sake he is neuroglogically normal. What if he isnt? You going to give him up? Probably.....

Quoting rockchickmom:

catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I have dealt with it, some people from the older generation believed it to be a discipline problem and suggested he needed a "swift kick in the ass"

I explained that it was a nuerological development disorder and it's implications adn how it affects him.  Some listened, some didn't.  The ones that listened asked questions and I answered them without judgement.  I've had to teach them there are different ways to approach certain situations with ds.

The ones that continued to be rude and arrogant are no longer a part of our lives.

catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:31 AM
5 moms liked this

why in the name of common sense, would you come into a post likely filled with autism moms and post this on the first page?  

Quoting rockchickmom:

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

If he does have problems and she gives him up he'd probably have a better life. A mother's love is supposed to be unconditional but I don't think she gets that. Some women shouldn't have kids.

Quoting BEXi:

I REALLY hope for your child's sake he is neuroglogically normal. What if he isnt? You going to give him up? Probably.....

Quoting rockchickmom:

rockchickmom
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I did NOT talk as if they are scum. You obviously looking for something thats not there. And no I would not give up my son. I would deal with it if I had too. I was being honest with post and saying I am trying to learn how to deal with and understand austim. As a first time mother I am ALLOWED to be scared for my son when my niece does dangerous things to her own sister's and their home. 

Quoting BEXi:

Quoting rockchickmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)