Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

sheltering kids too much

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
2 moms liked this
I understand kids need to be protected from certain things. But honestly i think some people take this "sheltering" and monitoring way too far. In all of history did kids always need this done? No. But this new generation is way too sensitive. People would rather keep their kid locked up inside watching My Little Pony (or is that too violent?) Rather than let their kid play outside, climb trees, ride bikes with the neighbor kids, etc. Some parents don't want to let their kid go play on the playscape because they don't like the way Suzy raises her kids. Oh, and gotta love the kids that are handed an ipad to distract them because the parent doesn't want to deal with their temper tantrum.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Who gave you the gavel and called you judge?

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree

I had a coworker who was such a helicopter parent that her teenage DD wasn't allowed to shower if she wasn't home in case she slipped and fell in the shower

it was no big shock when her DD rebelled late in high school, barely graduated and got pregnant shortly after

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

well, now-a-days I'd rather keep my kiddo inside then send them outside ...too many sickos in this world...and i don't care if someone thinks I shelter my kids too much.

CGM2012
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I dont shelter DS at all. He watches violent super hero movies and plays violent video games.I let him play outside and ride his bike with the neighbor kids as long as his homework is done.

my4littlegirls
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I agree to a point.  

I hate going to the playground just because I hate crowds. I will take them when I know it will not be packed though.

couture-mommy
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Oh, I give ds my phone to watch Mickey Mouse while we are at the mall.
Don't see anything wrong with that.

But I don't fully shelter
mandaday
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM
I tend to agree. Some things they should be sheltered from. For example, my young boys are not allowed to watch Human Centipede. But at the same time, we bought the house we did because it's in a cul-de-sac with lots of other kids their age. I expect them to hop on their bikes and go play, and likely come back with some scraped knees and such.
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on May. 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Helicopter parents give me the heebie jeebies. 

MamaTwinkleA
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
There are helicopter parents, average parents, and the one that take their kids to the park and ignore them the whole time so they can play tonsil hockey with their bf/gf. I would rather see the helicopter parents any day than the lady I saw at the park making out with her boyfriend while he 4 kids threw sand and rocks at eachother and spitting everywhere. One of them about threw a piece of asphalt at my son because my ds wanted to go down the slide and this kid wanted to go up. Then when sand got in one of her kids eyes she decided to chase the youngest across the playground to spank him with her shoe.

But I do agree many parents baby their children to much and their kids then aren't prepared for when they hear/see it outside the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaday
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:06 PM
3 moms liked this
There really aren't more sickos, we're just more aware. Besides, it seems to me children are safer outside with friends than playing on the internet, so far as pervs go.

Quoting Jessy613:

well, now-a-days I'd rather keep my kiddo inside then send them outside ...too many sickos in this world...and i don't care if someone thinks I shelter my kids too much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)