Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Personal Walmart Nightmare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this

You won't believe what life is like working there. 

When I woke up to see the news, I could hardly believe it: President Obama is planning a visit to the Mountain View Wal-Mart where I work.

But the excitement quickly passed when I found out the store would be shutting down hours in advance of his visit. I wouldn’t be able to tell the president what it’s like to work at Wal-Mart and what it’s like to struggle on low wages, without the hours I need. I am living at the center of the income inequality that he speaks about so often, and I wanted to talk to him about how to change this problem.

My situation is not unlike that of many of the 825,000 Wal-Mart associates – and many other Americans – who are working hard, but just can’t keep up. Most of us aren’t even paid $25,000 a year even though we work at the largest employer in the country and one that makes $16 billion in profits.

I wanted to tell the president what it’s like working – and living – like this.

Things have always been tight. After four years working at Wal-Mart in Mountain View, I am bringing home about $400 every two weeks (I’d like to get more hours, but I’m lucky if I work 32 hours a week). That’s not enough to pay for bills, gas and food.  All I can afford to eat for lunch is a cup of coffee and a bag of potato chips. I’ve always done everything possible to stretch paychecks and scrape by. Sometimes it means not getting enough to eat.

There are so many of us who have it so hard – trying to live paycheck to paycheck. While the president is here visiting my store, I want him to look inside at what is really happening at Wal-Mart.

I want the president to help us and tell Wal-Mart to pay us enough to cover the bills and take care of our families. That doesn’t seem like too much to ask from such a profitable company, a company that sets the standard for jobs in this country. And I hope it’s not too much to ask from a president who believes that income inequality is the defining challenge of our time.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I had a college degree and my first job was 24k for full time work with a bachelors degree required

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM
4 moms liked this

If Walmart is so awful, why don't you try applying for jobs elsewhere? 

halleys_mommy_1
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Good luck! Dh worked w Wal-Mart from age 16 till 28 and he just got a vendor job.

We are so much happier! !!!

I hope you can tell your, and many others, story!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM

..... get a new job?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM
7 moms liked this

Obama is a SUV limousine liberal.  He's not doing a thing for you, nor does he care about you.  It's all about helping his corrupt corporte friends.  

mistressflora
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I posted the same thing in CUrrent events

mistressflora
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM
3 moms liked this

yep bc thats super easy.

Quoting Anonymous:

..... get a new job?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Alex-9, Madison-7, Holly-3, Serenity 5.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

ladybugchick317
by on May. 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM
4 moms liked this

That is the thing. Obama wants to be able to say that he came to see how things are. He has no interest in hearing what we have to say. It is ridiculous.

Miller0305
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Bingo.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN