Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are today’s TV parents doing a better or worse job than TV parents of the past?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 1:23 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Are today’s TV parents doing a better or worse job than TV parents of the past?

Options:

Better

Worse

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 104

View Results

by on May. 12, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmeow
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think it's a matter of better or worse. I think nowadays families are portrayed much more realistically than before, whereas if you go way back to the Carol Bradys and June Cleavers it's more idealistic.

Tee_L
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I voted worse.  In most part because much of todays TV Parents are on reality shows.  

Joie35
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this
This. Today, parents on tv or portrayed more like human beings are in real life and less like Stepford parents

Quoting kmeow:

I don't think it's a matter of better or worse. I think nowadays families are portrayed much more realistically than before, whereas if you go way back to the Carol Bradys and June Cleavers it's more idealistic.

mich2.0
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Worse. While they may be more realistic, they're mostly incredibly dysfunctional. 

Cindy18
by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Huh...blank stareare TV parents doing a better job at WHAT? They are not real, they are written into exisitance by writers. Totally fiction. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 12, 2014 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Most kids shows don't even have parents so I don't know.
Tracys2
by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I hadn't considered reality TV.

I'd say MUCH better, because when I was growing up, even small, June Cleaver and all the other TV moms made me want to vomit. The idea that I would have to grow up to cease to be a person- to have no friends, (non-kid) family, interests, hobbies, take no classes, almost never show an opinion or read a book..

Your "Malcolm in the Middle" mom might serve old milk, but she is a person I'd like to know, and I could see her having a cause and fighting for it, or being able to raise the kids if her husband scarpered.... that's as recent as I watched sitcoms. I also even liked Roseanne.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Who cares about what TV parents are doing.  I care what real parents are doing, though. 

Where are all the normal parents who are getting great results?  They are the only ones that I want to hear. 

yummypeaches
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't watched many kid shows lately but when I do it seems like the parents aren't even there a lot. I like the parents from Boy Meets World the best lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 12, 2014 at 2:32 PM

IT'S TELEVISION, IT'S NOT REAL!!!!!!!!! IMO the reality shows aren't real either, just staged.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)