Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want to say something, but I feel like a b****. Wwyd?

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM
  • 405 Replies

Mobile Photo

Our daycare sends all of Raymond's artwork home signed "Ray". We do not call him Ray. I'm not a big fan of shortened names. He is Raymond.

I kind of hate that all the artwork I save will have a name we don't call him. I try to tell myself it isn't a big deal. I feel petty for letting it bother me. I feel like if I say something about this that I will make the girls feel bad and look crazy obsessive.

Wwyd?
by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM
18 moms liked this

accept that your son has a name which will get shortened to a nickname often and that it will most likely make up 50% of his naming identity.

I'm Rai. It's a good name. ;)

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM
32 moms liked this

Tell them he goes by Raymond not Ray. Please use Raymond, we don't want it shortened.

TrouserMouse
by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm weird about shortening names. I feel shortened names are personal. They should only be shortened if the person feels comfortable.

My friends and family call me Mel. When some stranger calls me Mel, I feel twitchy. I always introduce myself as Melanie.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

accept that your son has a name which will get shortened to a nickname often and that it will most likely make up 50% of his naming identity.

I'm Rai. It's a good name. ;)

wonderstruck11
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I hate when people call my daughter Alex instead of Alexandria. Alex is not her name!
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:15 AM
5 moms liked this

there is nothing wrong with telling your DCP that you want him called Raymond, not Ray

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM
14 moms liked this

Just ask the provider to please use his full name because you cherish it just as much as the wonderful artwork they help him do. :)

Quoting TrouserMouse: I'm weird about shortening names. I feel shortened names are personal. They should only be shortened if the person feels comfortable. My friends and family call me Mel. When some stranger calls me Mel, I feel twitchy. I always introduce myself as Melanie.

photo funny-gif-Batman-eating-little-pony_zpse1d422bf.gif
AVE SATANAS!
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I would just tell them you'd appreciate it if they didn't call him/sign his artwork "Ray," that he's Raymond at home and should be at daycare as well.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:17 AM
6 moms liked this

Just say it nicely. 

"Thanks for sending home all the artwork, would you mind signing it with his full name."

Or add on a little fib, "Ray is my great Uncles name so we just use Raymond instead of Ray! It'd be great if you could make a note!"

catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

I would probably gently let them know his name is raymond, not ray.

eeksaboy
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:19 AM
I would definitely say something :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)