Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age would you let your child view their birthing video? Did you even film your child's birth?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM
  • 192 Replies

Mom Makes Risky Decision to Show 8-Year-Old Her Birth Video

by Suzee Skwiot

little girl watches birth videoCameras in the delivery room are not a new thing. Countless parents are choosing to film the beautiful (and emotional, and let's be real, graphic) arrivals of their little ones to forever commemorate each and every detail of the process. But then, what do you do? When do you choose to view the birth video again? And better yet, when do you finally sit down and have your child watch their entrance into the world?

There's currently a video going around of an 8-year-old girl watching her birth video with her mom. It's sweet and beautiful and she has all the emotions, but the most interesting part is that she's able come out (no pun intended) seemingly unscathed. Sure, it's a precious moment shared between a mother and her daughter, and no doubt, one that they'll both remember forever. But let's just pause for a second and really think about when parents should be showing birth videos to their children.

Sex education classes begin, on average, in the fifth or sixth grade, when children are between 10 and 11 years old. They're just beginning to experience changes in their bodies and will soon go through puberty. It makes sense.

But does an 8-year-old, a third grader, mind you, really need to watch her arrival? Is this the best way to explain to the kid "where babies comes from"? Just plop them down on the couch and have them watch as their mother pains through their delivery?

Birthing videos are shocking enough, even when they're of a complete stranger, and viewed with a sex ed class full of prepubescent preteens. But when it's your own mother, writhing in pain and pushing you out, everything becomes just a tad bit more... real. And entirely jarring.

Sure, it's important for children to learn and understand how babies are created and how they're delivered. But a vivid moment like this might just be best saved for when she's a little bit more conscious of the entire process. Or for a time when she can maybe avoid mom for a little while. Looking her in the eyes after witnessing something like that might be a little rough. At least it would be for some of us.

Check it out:

At what age would you let your child view their birthing video? Did you even film your child's birth?

by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zeenah
by Zarah on May. 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM
8 moms liked this

I didn't film it. I didn't even want to see it in the mirror lol so I wouldn't make my kids watch it either.

Big sister to be!

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
No way. We didn't film it. I took pictures, but from above the waist. I have no desire to bee it from the doctor's perspective.
PeachQuean
by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Never filmed it.

But I had a home birth with my middle dd and my then 6 yr old was there....

I've shown my kids all birthing videos and even csection videos I found online.

Now my kids are 12/6 and 2. It's not a shameful thing.

I'm ttcing right now, would love another home birth with all.kids in the room. But not sure since my last was an early emergency csection.
SimplyEnchanted
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Well, I had a precipitous labor/ delivery with my third. So, my oldest two children were present. It happened TOO FAST to do anything about it. I nearly gave birth in the car lol.

So, my children have seen a live birth...my oldest vaguely remembers it and she isn't weirded out in any way about it so...I'd probably let them watch a childbirth film if they wanted to.

I've never wanted to record it though. 

Mama to six beautiful girls- Piper(12), Paris(10), Prue(8), Priya(6)&Kahlan(3), Arie (5 months old!) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

crazyinlove99
by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I didn't flim mine.

ladymaleficent
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Didn't film it don't want to remember it so never,.
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:43 AM
I didn't film it and I think they can wait til like 13 or 14 to see a birthing video.
Lauren6310
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:45 AM
I had a csection but the hospital didn't allow filming anyways.
rsmom2511
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM
4 moms liked this
Nobody wants to see that shit! Lol...
CGM2012
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't film it. I didn't want that on tape. Hell no. I wouldn't want my son to watch it either. And I'm sure once he gets older, he would have NO interest in watching that. I dont know anyone who would actually want to watch their birth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)