Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how many of you had an epidural while in labor?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 118 Replies
If you had one did you feel it when they put it in? With my first I was very young and even though I wanted a natural labor I stupidly agreed to being induced without any real reason. I was having contractions and was already 4cm when I went in to the hospital although I couldn't feel any of them. So they break my water and start the meds and not even 30 minutes later I asked for the epi. I still had not felt a single contraction but I felt the baby pushing down and got scared. So they come in and do the epi well while I was sitting there with a nurse waiting for them to start the doc suddenly said he was done. I was very confused because I didn't even know he had started. So 8 hour labor and the most painful part was the pee tube (I know what it is called I just can't spell it sorry) which I had to call them in to up the epi because it hurt so bad. I still have no idea what a contraction feels like. I'm almost 16 weeks with my second and I'm kind of scared the baby will end up being born in the car because I won't know I'm in labor until it is too late
Posted by Anonymous on May. 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bcoll
by Brandi on May. 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I had an epidural with the first two deliveries. (Twins and a singleton). I would never have another. All of my deliveries since (A set of twins and 3 singletons) have been without medication.

zacmacsmomm
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Oh, you will know.  I had epi's with both kids.  Most wonderful experience of my life :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM
I had one completely natural, one with an epi, and one csection(sedated). My one with the epi was the easiest and my csection was the hardest. No guilt here. The end result is what matters. I am having no more but if I did, I'd go for the epi (although My csection wasn't done in the way that makes a vbac possible so a csection it would have to be)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM

After laboring for 56 hours with my first I finally agreed to one. He was sunny side up, so it was excruciating back labor. I definitely felt it when they put it in.... they failed 3 times before it was placed correctly. I had terrible headaches for a month afterwards.

My second I had a dose of Nubian and my third was drug free. You will know a contraction when you feel it, no doubt.

Halfdeafmommy
by Pure Honesty on May. 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM
I had one, I hated it and will never do it again. It was the worst experience of my life.
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I had one with my second and never ever again will I.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I had epidurals with both kids, but with DS (my first) the epi was TOO strong and I couldn't push when I needed to so labor took longer than it should have. With DD they gave just enough to make it so I couldn't feel contractions, but I could still push. It was a MUCH better experience the second time around.

strongforthem
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM
I have never had an epidural.
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Never. When I had my older three it wasn't even an option at my hospital.

SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Yeah, I was induced with my first and the epi was kind of a no-brainer considering how intense and painful the contractions were when I was only 4cm. It was much more painful than natural labor. I'm also glad I did because I had an episiotomy and DD got stuck on my pubic bone. I did not have to feel any of that thank goodness.

With my second, I went ahead and got an epi just in case even though the labor was much more tolerable. I went into labor on my own this time. Again, I'm glad I got it because they had to force my cervix open and they also had to put in a vaginal monitor, I tore and DS was stuck on my pubic bone.

I felt the needle go in with both of them but, that wasn't necessarily painful. My first epidural was put in by a seasoned anesthesiologist and he nicked a nerve. THAT was painful. My second was placed beautifully by a student.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN