Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog and Cat Owners Beware. :(

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 1:02 PM
  • 46 Replies
2 moms liked this


Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.
Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Halfway through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's web site,

This product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

*Snopes site gives the following information:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp .asp>

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

**PLEASE PASS THIS ON**

by on May. 13, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FabAnonLife
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:03 PM

That's sad

crysiann
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM
That's awful, thanks for the info.
blue-heart
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Bump.
catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

it's very sad :(

Quoting crysiann: That's awful, thanks for the info.


themaurer7
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Cocoa mulch...as in derivitive of chocolate? I know chocolate is extremely bad for dogs and over time is dangerous.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on May. 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Very sad!
aimlee
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

thats very sad thankyou for the info!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Bump
catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM

chocolate is a dérivé of cocoa actually, not the other way around.  Depending on how pure the chocolate is, it may not be over time, but more immediate.

Quoting themaurer7: Cocoa mulch...as in derivitive of chocolate? I know chocolate is extremely bad for dogs and over time is dangerous.


furbabymum
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

 Huh. I didn't even have to read this. I saw that it was cocoa mulch and new it was bad for pets immediately. I'm surprised this isn't common knowledge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)