Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I went to the courthouse

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
This morning and requested a hearing to relocate. I have two children with my ex and one with my s/o.
My ex has been refusing to even negotiate anything to do with us moving. We will be buying a house 14 hours from where we currently live now.
Our reasons for moving are to be closer to both of our family's, I was offered a great job through my aunt, were in the process of buying a beautiful 4 bedroom house with a huge fenced in yard! Also there's way more activities for the children that are more affordable then here, and my cousin who just moved out of state said she would continue to babysit the kids if I move there.
My ex receives ssi and doesn't have to pay child support. He takes the kids only on the weekends and won't even make the effort to call them during the week. He in no way financially supports them, not even 5$ a week for lunch money. I am 100% financially responsible for them.

Has anyone been through this? I'm scared the courts will deny me the right to move, even though it will be better for us!
I am offering for him to have the kids over summer break, Christmas and one of the spring breaks as well.

Am I being reasonable?

Also the kids want to move, their cousins are their best friends and they just moved 20 minutes from where our new house will be. They currently lived two houses over from us so they spent everyday together.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM

i dont know but heres a bumb

owl0210
by Emerald Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:15 AM
The judge will look at what is in the best interest of the children. Taking children away from their fathers is looked down upon in some courts today.
ramita
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Are the kids old enough to have a say (it's around 14 in most states)? If so I'd have them speak to the judge about there wants. Going into it I would lay out all the ways it would be better in detail. I would probably also consider getting an attorney or at least talking to one. Each judge is different so it'll mostly depend on who you get.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Did you have an order saying you couldn't move with them? You should be just fine. I think it will go your way. Goodluck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM
You should have thought about that when you had kids with him. Now you have a kid with another dude and want to move? Sorry but it doesn't work that way. You probably won't be able to leave or you will be stuck with having to pay for the 14 hr commute.
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I don't see why they wouldn't let you move if you are the sole provider.

ramita
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:23 AM
I want to add, you may consider offering to be responsible for all the driving for drop offs and pick ups, or at least getting them to wherever y'all meet now. If you're willing to do that then it's something that will help make the judge know you're not trying to take the kids from the dad.

Quoting ramita: Are the kids old enough to have a say (it's around 14 in most states)? If so I'd have them speak to the judge about there wants. Going into it I would lay out all the ways it would be better in detail. I would probably also consider getting an attorney or at least talking to one. Each judge is different so it'll mostly depend on who you get.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 14, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Anonymous: You should have thought about that when you had kids with him. Now you have a kid with another dude and want to move? Sorry but it doesn't work that way. You probably won't be able to leave or you will be stuck with having to pay for the 14 hr commute.

Big deal. So she will have to pay for 2 plane tickets each summer. Sounds like she is doing just fine financially and it will be no problem for her.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

I don't see why they wouldn't let you move if you are the sole provider.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 14, 2014 at 9:24 AM
You should have gone to court before buying a house in another state. You picked that loser to father your children. Now you're stuck.

Quoting Anonymous: You should have thought about that when you had kids with him. Now you have a kid with another dude and want to move? Sorry but it doesn't work that way. You probably won't be able to leave or you will be stuck with having to pay for the 14 hr commute.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN