Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stop being so rude!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Dd is aware she is small, yes she is in second grade and yes she is the same size as her four year old sister.

Yes she really is 8, so when you ask her don't look at me like she is lying to you. No i don't feel the need to discuss her medical history with random strangers. But if you must know, yes something is wrong, no i don't know what yet, she has not grown since she was five, and yes we are seeing drs about it.

Do people not realize they are being rude, when they point this out? Strangers and family included. To me is like me asking someone why their kid is fat or if they are taking their kid to the Dr for their special needs or something. Its rude and hurts DD feelings.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nyk1187
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM
My DD is tall for her age (she's 2) and well-spoken. I regularly deal with people saying "really? She's Two?" In a condescending and non believing way when I mention this (especially at places where there's a cost difference for kids under 3). I know it's not the same as your situation - but it's frustrating, and I empathize.

Hope you can find out what's caused this in your daughter and she can live a full and happy life despite whatever it is.
QuinnMae
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I do think it's rude of someone to ask what's wrong.  

My DD has a girl in her class that is very small.  DD has a hard time believing that she might actually be older than DD.  I told DD that some people are just born little and she may not get much taller than she is now, even when she is 18 or 25.  DD looked confused and I said, it's just how some people are born.  It's not something for you to worry about.  She seemed good with that.  

weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on May. 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM
That's very rude. There's a little girl in my son's TKD class that's tiny. She's the size of her 6 year old brother and she's 9. I'd never dream of asking her mom such a personal question!
mommybear91
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM
My 17 month old is 20lbs and he's very small they've run test all negative. Their past pediatrician said he might just be small. I'm getting a second opinion
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM
My dd is 12 and is the size of a 9 yr old. I feel you.
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM

DS1 and DS2 have looked like twins since DS2 was 6mo old (DS1 was 2yo old).

Yes it's rude.  No it won't stop them.  Have a stunning answer - Really?  I had not noticed!!  Thank you for bringing it to my attention! 

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on May. 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM
How rude.

Wow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM
It's not really something that most people would think is rude. I'm sorry you deal with that. I suggest teaching yourself and your daughter to deal with it so she isn't self conscious.
the_dude
by abides on May. 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM
My 3yo is almost as tall as her 6yo brother... when I tell people she just turned three they say... are you sure? yes I'm fucking sure!

It's fucking rude as hell.
KenneMaw
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Totally understand!  We had the best neighbor family growing up and their youngest had a growth issue, I believe due to a pituitary issue (he ended up taking growth hormone shots and they worked).  Even when he was 7-8, people would often pick himk up because they thought he was toddler.    He was the best kid and grew into an amazing man who is now about 5'4" or so.  

good luck with the doctors and just say 'God bless" when people ask stupid questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)