Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Daughter staying in a hotel because I won't let her sleep with her boyfriend??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 116 Replies
My daughter is 24 and her and her boyfriend are visiting us for a week next month. I called today and brought up that I got her new sheets and she said "oh, Marc and I are staying in a hotel because I know you won't let us share a room".

She's right. I have younger kids and it's entirely inappropriate. They don't know my older daughter lived with her boyfriend and were so excited about "sister sleepovers" in her room. Additionally, my elderly mother lives with us and is going to flip when she hears about this.

As well, the hotel is 25 minutes from our house, in the city, so this is going to cut into our visit time as well and I'm already picturing them cutting out of family visiting or leaving early to go out in the city.

I asked her to reconsider and she laughed :( and said "no, mom, I think Marc and I will be more comfortable together there, let's not talk about this again". I started to say "but-" and said sounded angry and said "talk to you later" and hung up.

Does anyone have any advice? I don't know what to do here to keep everyone happy.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sophiesister2
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Well shes 24 its her decision...i can see it being dissapointing though
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM
6 moms liked this

I'm pretty sure I've heard this story before. A couple times over now.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

There really isn't anything you can do. I don't blame her for wanting to stay with her boyfriend. She's an adult. However, I don't blame you for having rules. I have three kids with my partner and we're not married and whenever we've stayed with his Grandma we've had to sleep in separate rooms. Silly, but her house and her rules.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 14, 2014 at 7:20 PM
10 moms liked this
You're both adults. You have the right to create your own house rules but she has the right to disagree and opt for a hotel room.
AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Is this a repeat?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Repeat...ugh
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

She's 24.  My advice - realize she's an adult who can make her own decisions and enjoy the time you have together.  If you piss her off, she may just decide not to come or to make her time with you shorter because no one wants to spend their vacation with people who are going to argue with them.

Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I think she is being respectful. What is the age difference between her and her siblings?

handy0318
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM
5 moms liked this

What to do is to recognize that your dd is an adult and is making a very wise and respectful decision. She is respecting your house rules about sharing a room with her boyfriend and also acknowledging that it will be more comfortable for everyone for them to have their own room. 

She's being smart, momma....so let it go.

b1the1change
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this
My parents wouldn't let my df and I share a bed when we first visited at 18 but two months later we came back and shared a bed. They never made a big deal about it. I'm an adult. She's paying for it. You made your rules she made her decision.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)