Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

FIRE!! 3rd update: had to evacuate

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 7:58 PM
  • 128 Replies

UPDATE #3: Well, the fires got close to us.  A street half a mile away from us was evacuated and apparently there were flames on that street.  Then, the fire jumped the containment field... SO, we decided that we better head out, lol.  We evacuated and headed to my mom's house (3 hours north).  We stayed the night here, and the evacuation was lifted... but the evacuation was lifted the other day and they brought that back, so we've been monitoring the progress to see when we'll leave.  As of right now, we're planning on heading back tomorrow morning.  Here's some pics of my son swimming at a friend's house yesterday afternoon (with the smoke in the background):

UPDATE #2 (Day 2 of the fires):  The view from my hotel room is pretty clear, but when I step outside, there's black smoke coming up from another fire.  Fallbrook is under an evacuation notice, but we are still here.  My husband sent me a picture of the view from his battalion building (don't worry, he's home and here with us now):

UPDATE: My husband made it home!!  Traffic finally cleared up and he was able to make it home.  It took him about 4 hours to drive 30 miles.  He drove RIGHT next to a wall of flames.  Crazy!

The sky here has cleared up a lot, so it seems it's moving.  We're still getting helicopters flying right over us.  We've ordered pizza, so I think we're relaxing now. :-)

We're having some crazy wildfires here in SoCal (north San Diego County).  The fires are right near us (in town).  Helicopters have been flying right over us for hours (taking water to the fires).  My husband is stuck in traffic trying to get home... the fires are right next to him (he can see the flames).

Here are some pictures I took (these were taken on a sunny day at 3pm):

Here's a video of a fire tornado that happened in the fire:

fox5sandiego.com/2014/05/14/raw-fire-tornado/#axzz31jR3XmP2 

Some of my friends have already left town.  We're sticking around though... I don't feel that we're in any immediate danger.  The sky is starting to clear up, but there are some embers falling from the sky.  People are still here in the hotel (we're currently living in a hotel) and pizza is still being delivered.  I think we'll have pizza tonight, lol...

by on May. 14, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Come on Jesus! Bring us home!

TaylorBaby
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:01 PM

i just read they may have to evacutae Camp Pendelton.

NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Yeah, that's where my husband is driving home from.  The biggest fire started at the Naval Weapons Station (which is between Pendelton and Fallbrook, where we live).

Quoting TaylorBaby:

Yum_Cupcakes
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I believe they did. 

Quoting TaylorBaby:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM
I don't understand this remark?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yum_Cupcakes
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I'm in Oceanside. So far the fire in Oceanside doesn't seem to be spreading to my area. 

MeeshMom
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM
That sucks. We can see them from south OC. Hope everyone is safe!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yum_Cupcakes
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

They're being gross and inappropriate. Typical anon trolling. 

Quoting Anonymous: I don't understand this remark?
Quoting Anonymous:

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 14, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Scary!! Stay safe!
NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:10 PM

It seems to be mostly here in Fallbrook, but also Bonsall, Pendelton, and Escondido.

Quoting Yum_Cupcakes:

I'm in Oceanside. So far the fire in Oceanside doesn't seem to be spreading to my area. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN