Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

a transgender high school student allowed to use the girls restroom

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM
  • 19 Replies
A local high school principle has allowed a transgender male to use the girls restroom and locker room and it has sparked a huge debate. How would you feel if this happend at your kids school? Would you be ok with it?

Theres the story....Sorry I don't know how to make it clickly.

http://www.wave3.com/story/25519250/high-school-discusses-adding-gender-identity-to-non-discrimination-policy?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass
by on May. 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm fine with it. My gay friend in high school, who was pretty feminine, had to get bathroom passes rather than use the bathroom between classes. He also had to change clothes in the coach's office for gym class. It was a major charade just so he wouldn't get beat up, and we lived in a very progressive city but he was the only openly gay student.

I really fail to see the issue with transgender kids using whatever bathroom they like. There are stalls. And I have never seen anyone get totally naked in a locker room.
heckno
by on May. 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Doesn't bother me.
newwifenmom
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM
No issue here
Lostinindy
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM
My oldest dd is gay. With that said I'm on the fence with this. In the end I'm not sure it's fair to the other girls. I wonder how it would be if it was reversed and the girl wanted to use the boys bathroom?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly I would not be happy about the locker room if it is anything like the locker room in the high school I attended. There was absolutely no privacy. None. No curtains for the showers, no private areas, even the toilets were lacking doors (we never used them). And we were required to shower after PE. It was bad enough to have to shower with each other and we all had the same bits. 

In general, I have no issue with transgendered students using the bathroom or locker room of the gender they identify with as long as steps are taken to make everyone comfortable and address the needs of all students. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM

no I would not be comfortable with it at all. I don't think its fair to make a whole locker room full of people uncomfortable just because of one person.

j3st3r
by Jedi on May. 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM
We had the same policy in my last k-12 placement. It was a challenging time for the students because the young lady transitioned mid-year. Other students found it very hard to accept. The bathroom was probably the least of her worries.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I can see where it would make some high school girls uncomfortable...maybe they need to have family restrooms in high schools...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I agree with this:

Quoting Anonymous:

no I would not be comfortable with it at all. I don't think its fair to make a whole locker room full of people uncomfortable just because of one person.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM
Not fair to the real girls at all to be put in that situation. Even if they do feel uncomfortable they will be called bigots if they say so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)