Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To use a bottle or no?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 85 Replies
I have no idea if I'm going to breastfeed this next baby or use formula. With my first, I was steadily in school, classes were flexible and that made breastfeeding doable, it was still hard but I did it. Lasted for 2 years and 9 months. Now, I have a career, DH has a more demanding one, and I don't know if breastfeeding is doable with our schedule. I've never so much as mixed a bottle so I'm not quite sure what's more exhausting. I don't know if doing both is an option, due to constipation issues, or if pumping exclusively is worth it but I don't have long to decide. Moms of two or more, what did you do and how did it work?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Why have another baby if your schedule is so demanding? I began pumping almost immediately so I could make a stock pile. Then I continued to pump at work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamnameless
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Why can't you pump at work? You could breastfed in the evening and at night and do formula at night but baby will likely want to nurse a lot during the night. I think nursing is always better. Good luck with your decision.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:27 PM
I breastfed/pumped with my son for four months and switched to formula when I returned to work. I'm due in June and now that my son is 4 I haven't decided if I'm going to breastfeed or do formula since I plan to return to work in the Fall.
staci1103
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Breastfeeding is always doable if that's what u choose to do.  It's a lot of work without a doubt but doable.  Good luck:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM
We planned this child, it's not too bad but breastfeeding my oldest was absolutely hell in the first few months. I was able to just nap when baby napped though. Such is not the case this time.

Quoting norwgnwood: Why have another baby if your schedule is so demanding? I began pumping almost immediately so I could make a stock pile. Then I continued to pump at work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2014 at 8:37 PM
I want to pump but I'm unsure how much production I may be able to make.

Quoting owl0210: I breastfed/pumped with my son for four months and switched to formula when I returned to work. I'm due in June and now that my son is 4 I haven't decided if I'm going to breastfeed or do formula since I plan to return to work in the Fall.
sheymann
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I had a friend who pumped when she was at work and of course for work. She made it work over a year I believe. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2014 at 8:39 PM
I don't have a typical job, I'm one of two managers in a restaurant and occasionally I jump into the kitchen if a chef calls in. It's never quiet, or calm in there.

Quoting iamnameless: Why can't you pump at work? You could breastfed in the evening and at night and do formula at night but baby will likely want to nurse a lot during the night. I think nursing is always better. Good luck with your decision.
devoted31
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I would pump. Formula isn't an option in this house :) Thankfully I respond well to a pump, I have a demanding job as does my husband - I am constantly in and out of the office and don't have a lot of time in the office but I will find time to pump. Your husbands schedule doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not you are able to successfully nurse. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2014 at 8:42 PM
It does in the event of sleep, lol. When my DS was a baby I would occasionally pump and that sleep was precious. The same would apply this time.

Quoting devoted31:

I would pump. Formula isn't an option in this house :) Thankfully I respond well to a pump, I have a demanding job as does my husband - I am constantly in and out of the office and don't have a lot of time in the office but I will find time to pump. Your husbands schedule doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not you are able to successfully nurse. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)