Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm going on my son's field trip tomorrow bc I don't trust his school!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies
Sad as it may be, I don't trust my son's welfare with his school when it comes to field trips. He is going to the zoo with his class and the rest of the kindergarden classes from his school, and I don't want him to get lost in the mayhem.

On a field trip with my older son last year, in the same school still, as a joining parent, not chaperone, I found one of my son's classmates as we were going through the park, less than an hour into the trip. After spending a solid 15 minutes looking for the chaperone she was supposed to be with, I gave up and had her tag along with my son and me. Even when we got to the lunch meetup, I had the girl point out who her chaperone was supposed to be and it was as if the mother never even noticed she was missing a child!! I decided to keep her with me for the rest of the day, only telling the teacher about the situation at the end of the trip; I couldn't risk the little girl getting lost twice :(

Anywho, my little PSA of the day is to please remember that sending your little one on a school field trip may mean entrusting your baby to a stranger. Personally, I don't think I'll be allowing that to happen for a few more years.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tossed
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I have chaperoned over 80 trips and never lost a kid. I will say that some parents volunteer to chaperone so that they can spend the day with their child and don't realize that they will be responsible for other children.  The schools my sons attended were picky about who was allowed to chaperone. I was selected and actually requested as a chaperone because I was able to keep up with all of the kids. I was left with the entire concert band, the top choir...all 3 buses of them and an entire class when the teacher got ill right before we were to leave. I am a former teacher and that helped. Some parents are afraid to actively control the groups to which they are assigned. 

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM

It can happen even to a parent chaperoning their own child. It happened to my MIL. Zoo trip when DH was in Kinder and although she kept track of the other children, she misplaced my husband within 15 minutes. It took her two hours to find him. He was at the area they had told them to go to when they started the trip. 

I have been on many, many field trips and have yet to lose a kid. 

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I go with their class. I haven't lost a kid and they all stick with me. Theres normally at least two or three parents per group. 

lissadavis
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:23 PM

One solid point of having SN kiddos is that they have and aide that is assigned to them all year, if they go so does the aide and she never has more than four kids at a time regardless of how independent they are.

handy0318
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I always signed up as chaperone for my kids' field trips. I used to work at a daycare and one of the moms who was supposed to be chaperoning lost one of her charges.  The lost girl happened to be the daughter of the director of the daycare and believe me, it was chaos there for a bit. We found her in a classroom filled with kids from a different school. The mom just wasn't paying enough attention and when the teacher of the other school said for all the kids to follow her, the little girl just followed along.

Yep... I always chaperoned for field trips.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2014 at 9:24 PM
You're right. I should clarify that irresponsible chaperones are, by far, the minority...but they do exist and, especially if parents have younger children, it's something parents should consider.
At my son's school, you simply have to pass a background check and fingerprinting combo and fill out some forms. There is certainly no way to determine the parents responsibility that easily.

Quoting tossed:

I have chaperoned over 80 trips and never lost a kid. I will say that some parents volunteer to chaperone so that they can spend the day with their child and don't realize that they will be responsible for other children.  The schools my sons attended were picky about who was allowed to chaperone. I was selected and actually requested as a chaperone because I was able to keep up with all of the kids. I was left with the entire concert band, the top choir...all 3 buses of them and an entire class when the teacher got ill right before we were to leave. I am a former teacher and that helped. Some parents are afraid to actively control the groups to which they are assigned. 

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM
My girls school doesn't allow parent chaperones so I'm pretty strict on where the girls go with them. They do trips 45 minutes to an hour and a half away, I so don't allow my kids to go on those ones. Anything in town I'm relatively lax about.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Your PSA is like a DUH. NO SHT SHERLOCK!

On my kids field trips there are so many chaperones that it 1 adult to 2-3 kids.
My son went to the zoo last month. It was him his "best friend" and the friends dad.

I trust my school and the other parents of the class.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM
I would rather have 2 parents w more children than a single parent with less. My son's school has 4 children/chaperone, including the chaperones kid. Unless you team up with another group, you're solo.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

I go with their class. I haven't lost a kid and they all stick with me. Theres normally at least two or three parents per group. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM
I've never lost a child as a chaperone either, but unless you team up with another parent here, each parent has their own group.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)