Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No, I will not allow your son to just come in. Yes I will call the police. EDIT

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:56 PM
  • 672 Replies
26 moms liked this
I received a letter in my mailbox and a home visit from a neighbor last week and it's been bothering me ever since.

I was told by a new neighbor, a middle-aged woman... that I should keep my doors closed if I don't want her son coming into my house.

Apparently, this woman has a son who is special needs.
He is in his mid 20s and lives with her. She explained that he sometimes goes into people's houses, especially if there is an easy way in.
She said he is not dangerous, but becomes sad if you ask him to leave.
So she advised me to call her first if he ever comes in.

Here's my issue with that.
First of all, I was here first. I lived here before she moved into the neighborhood. And if I was aware of this issue beforehand, I wouldn't have wanted to live here. I have a 15 month old daughter and a 3 week old son.
My husband works a lot, leaving me alone with the kids over night and sometimes days as well. Why should I have to deal with him entering MY property? Or even have to fear that he might?
To me, this affects the reasons why we are living in this house.

Second of all, it's summer time! Sometimes I leave my front door open and only have the screen door shut because I like to get some fresh air in the house and give the AC units a break.
So now, I'm expected to keep my door shut if I don't want some guy coming into my fucking house?!
Seriously?! Why do I have to deal with her son? I'm paying this outrageous amount of money to live here because it's safe and it's a nice neighborhood. I do NOT feel safe knowing there's a person who "might" just come in and make himself at home. Jesus, really? Come on.

Thirdly, if I ever did see him in my house, I'm not gonna just call her to come get him. I'm gonna call the police.
What if I am in the living room breastfeeding my baby and he comes in? What if I am giving my kids a bath and he comes in? My first thought isn't gonna be "Oh, it's just Nolan, no big deal. "
Fuck that. I'm gonna grab my gun and tell him to get out immediately. My fucking children are in this house.... this is OUR home. I can't believe I'm supposed to change the way I live for him.

And another thing, I have a pitbull and a lab. My pitbull is not a bad dog, but if he comes in my house, my dogs WILL attack him. And at that point, what can I do?
The whole reason I have these dogs, is because my husband works nights Mon-Thurs and they make me feel safe. They are here to protect my family, and that's what they are trained to do.

How am I supposed to trust that he's not dangerous or won't go crazy?
I don't know him... I just know he doesn't think or function normally and apparently he has no sense of boundaries.
On the letter, there was a picture of him so that I could identify him if he comes inside. He is very overweight. There's no way I could defend myself against him without a weapon.
I'm not happy... I shouldn't be dealing with this, he's not my responsibility.

I can't believe that I am being asked to lock my windows, garage, and doors over summer.
I'm honestly pissed off.
And a little freaked out.

Can anyone tell me what they would do in this situation?

EDIT 1:
I'm gonna go to sleep now. I didn't think this post would blow up, mine never do so I'm not great at responding but I did my best, lol.
I took everyone's advice and I'm gonna ask the police what can be done. And as Angrybob pointed out, I need to tell the mother myself that I am not cool with this.
I just feel bad because I don't know the struggle of having a SN child and I don't wanna make her life hard, but I don't wanna feel unsafe like this. I worry about my children and I would die before ever letting something happen to them, and I can't just trust this guy because his mom called him "harmless".

I will update this with more info after I get this squared away.

Thanks!
by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 14, 2014 at 11:58 PM
22 moms liked this
Uhh.. call the cops. Neighbor is fucking ridiculous
307mama
by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow. I would be freaked out too! 

WillsMOM72
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Call the police if he comes in your house. Same thing I'd do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM
17 moms liked this

put a hook lock on the inside of the door. keep it locked, and he can never get in.

on the flip side, get used to it, there are many mommies out there in this world like the mom youre explaining, eventually every neighborhood  will have the mommy of each sn child going around tell every neighbor how they just need to understand that they just cant tell their kid no. So the rest of the world is just supposed to accept and adjust to the sn .

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on May. 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM
61 moms liked this
This is some American horror story shit right here.

Calmly tell the mom that you will not tolerate it and the cops will be called.

Also send a notarized letter and keep a copy for yourself.

I don't give a flying fuck what his problem is it wouldn't fly with me.
Jamaicanmecrazi
by on May. 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd call the cops too. How absurd.
jcpeters0320
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM
21 moms liked this
SN or not, that's a parenting fail on her part.
baquick
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM
5 moms liked this
Do you have an HOA? If so, I would certainly bring this up to them as extremely inappropriate behavior from your neighbor and neighborhood safety concern.

And hell yes. Call the police.

She obviously does not watch him if he is known to do this. Smh.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM
16 moms liked this

If she knows he has this problem, SHE should be monitoring him more effectively.

Are you part of an HOA by chance?  Or any type of neighborhood watch?

I'd honestly call the non-emergency line at the police station and tell them about what she told you.  Ask them about your options, and see if they can do anything more to ensure HIS safety as well.

happymomma13
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM
I just can't believe her mind is sick enough to even approach me with this bullshit.

Quoting Anonymous: Uhh.. call the cops. Neighbor is fucking ridiculous
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)