Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've actually lost a lot of friends over this over the past couple of days ... budget.

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 3:47 AM
  • 225 Replies
8 moms liked this

In Australia out government has just released it's budget for 2014/15 and there are a lot of upset people around, which happens every time a budget is released. However over the past 2 days I have lost a lot of friends on one particular aspect of it.

Here families get a decent amount of help in the way of childcare rebates, paid parental leave, parenting payments, and tax benefits. In this budget the government is taking away one of these tax benefits when people's YOUNGEST child turns 6 (or in other words is in full time school). I get this benefit and I get $113 every two weeks for two kids. Now this group of friends of mine are all SAHM's who are not on disability of any kind, and they are complaining that they will no longer be able to afford to feed their kids.

Is it just me or if you are in such financial difficulties that $113 is the difference between life and death, and all your kids are in school then maybe it's time to find a job? Now in the US I'm aware that's difficult but unemployment here is 5.3%, and my work alone is hiring unskilled workers to work from home for $21 an hour. We're looking for over 600 staff ... so finding work isn't hard. Also these cuts aren't supposed to start until July 1st 2016 ... which to me makes it seem like they're planning on being in exactly the same position in 2 years time.

So yeah I've lost a lot of friends by saying that I agree with this and think it's a good incentive to get parents back into the work force.

WDYT?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 3:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
handy0318
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 3:51 AM
6 moms liked this

I see your point...but I don't know that it's worth losing friends over. 

munky.wench
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 3:53 AM
105 moms liked this

Uhm, would your company hire someone to work from home in America?

laineysmum
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 3:55 AM
9 moms liked this

Bahaha that was my question.. and made me think what if this is like the most genius scam/spam ever... she's gonna come back and say "YES my company will hire, just put your info into www.wehireu.biz"

Quoting munky.wench:

rebeccarae
by Bec on May. 15, 2014 at 3:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree with you, it's two years away to begin with, and work is attainable within that time. Have you brought up your job vacancies to them?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 3:57 AM
Wow !
rebeccarae
by Bec on May. 15, 2014 at 4:01 AM
2 moms liked this
That would be the most clever recruiting tactic I've ever seen. I'm curious now, lol.

Quoting laineysmum:

Bahaha that was my question.. and made me think what if this is like the most genius scam/spam ever... she's gonna come back and say "YES my company will hire, just put your info into www.wehireu.biz"

Quoting munky.wench:

TG3
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:03 AM

ha ha no

Quoting munky.wench:

SendMeBabyDust
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:03 AM
1 mom liked this
THIS !!!!

*clears throat* OP ?

Quoting munky.wench:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TG3
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:04 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not that smart

Quoting laineysmum:

Quoting munky.wench:

munky.wench
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:04 AM
1 mom liked this

But what if I said please?

Quoting TG3:

ha ha no

Quoting munky.wench:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)