Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Stuck Up Crazy Neighbor -ETA 5/19-ETA 5/16

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 12:31 PM
  • 591 Replies
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Back story: This lady lives across the street from us and has 3 kids and watches her nephew who is around the same age as my son. Their middle child is the same age as my daughter. My children go over to her house to play together. There are always more children there, so she is never playing alone. I have 1 after school daycare child the same age as my son. They will all play together for an hour or so after school. I know exactly where everyone is and can see her back yard from my front yard. I don't feel I need to helicopter almost 7 year olds. I've gone over several times to watch my kids and she goes in the house while I'm standing in her yard. We have lived here for 3 years and she has talked to me 2 times.

Thoughts? Bash away bashers.
I am the text in blue.
Also she never gave me the magic total I supposedly owe her .

Update: To correct a few misconceptions- I don't let my 2 year old "wander around the neighborhood" this neighbor lives directly across the street and I make sure she gets there and home safely
My kids don't play there everyday. It's usually 1-3 times a week, not consistently, for an hour or so after school. That is hardly "dumping" children on her.
I have the other child's parental permission to play with the neighborhood kids.
My kids are invited to play, so of course they want to play.
Her children are never allowed to leave the yard. I've seen them get yelled at for stepping off the front porch.
Our street had many children around the same age and many of them play in the neighborhood.
We live on a very quiet street with only about 10 cars a day passing through.
We know almost all of our neighbors.
Obviously this is not a complete description of either party.

Update 5/19
Most of you seem to think that I am letting the kids go over whenever and for extended periods of time. Not so. It's usually after school play with most of the OTHER neighborhood kids ( not just Kayla's) Sometiems it is 1-3 times a week, if my kids are in invited to play. Sometimes the kids go a week or two without playing. My daycare kid was given permission to play in the neighborhood like this as it is the norm in our area for the kids to play in their neighborhoods freely without direct parental supervision.
The end of school year matters in this as he is a teacher's kid and I have given my 2 weeks notice to her due to extenuating circumstance that I will not discuss here.
My daughter is very bright and a mature child. I would not let her play this way if I felt she could not handle it. Some children need constant supervision and some don't as long as you are aware of what they are doing and where the are. I feel my child is in the latter category.
by on May. 15, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brenna
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM
24 moms liked this

The only point I see is unsupervising a child you are being paid to watch.  Everything else is weird.  I would make a ton of money then because I seem to collect other people's children. I walked outside last night and there were 13 bikes in my driveway. I have two kids.

mybabyapples
by Nickels on May. 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM
4 moms liked this
I'd just not let the kids go over.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 15, 2014 at 12:34 PM
34 moms liked this
She's feeling like she's being used for free childcare. Keep your kids home or have her kids come to your house.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:34 PM

so you run a child care?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 15, 2014 at 12:34 PM
82 moms liked this

Honestly, I'm with the neighbor on this one. You're dumping numerous kids on her, children that are young enough to need her constant supervision, and that isn't right or fair. Now you're going to have to pay up.

elfling811
by Niki on May. 15, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Something similar happened with my neighbor in my building. We no longer speak. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Meh, not worth it. I'd have the kids play somewhere else.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Don't let you kids go over there. It is her yard.
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM
5 moms liked this

I agree with her

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM
14 moms liked this

You send your daycare children to her house to take care of? Hell yeah she should be getting paid!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN