Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So- what is a c-section recovery REALLY like?

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM
  • 113 Replies

I have three kids. All born vaginally without any issues.

I am now 31 weeks pregnant as a surrogate and I have particle placenta previa. It hasn't budged at all since 20 weeks so it is looking like it might not move and I will have to have a c-section. I am not too worried about the actual surgery- but I am nervous about recovery. The only bonus is that i won't have a baby to care for- but I do have three kids of my own! 

Also- if you had previa this late in pregnancy did it finally move? I am still holding out hope- but trying to have help lined up just incase it doesn't move. 

by on May. 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Well when you stand for the first time, it feels like your insides are going to fall out. You're a little stiff too. I think everything else is about pain tolerance. I've had two csections, and never needed pain meds. Walking is very important too.
mommaofALT
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I had my gallbladder out (the only surgery I have ever had) and once I got the gas out pain wasn't too bad. I assume it will be worst than that (bigger insision and larger thing being removed!) but I hope I recover quickly. I am not the lay around and do nothing type :/

Quoting hautemama83: Well when you stand for the first time, it feels like your insides are going to fall out. You're a little stiff too. I think everything else is about pain tolerance. I've had two csections, and never needed pain meds. Walking is very important too.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM
It depends actually. I had 5 sections. Some were easy...some recovery was hell.
two4one
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Definately depends on the woman, My SIL was sitting up in bed the next day. I was flat for a couple of them and could barely stand at first. The first week I spent a lot of time sitting or lying down. But after 2 weeks, I was crawling around my attic taking down christmas decorations.

Dannygirl25
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Its not too bad, but its also not a walk in the park either. When you get up yourinsides will feel like they are going to fall out . Lol laughing, coughing , sneezing is rather uncomfortable so id recommend holding a pillow over your incision area when doing so. Also, comfortable loose clothing should be worn and not stuff that will rub on your incision. Ask your dr if they have belly bands for after surgery recovery.. They help
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Ah yes, lots of gas. Which for me was the most painful part.

Quoting mommaofALT:

I had my gallbladder out (the only surgery I have ever had) and once I got the gas out pain wasn't too bad. I assume it will be worst than that (bigger insision and larger thing being removed!) but I hope I recover quickly. I am not the lay around and do nothing type :/

Quoting hautemama83: Well when you stand for the first time, it feels like your insides are going to fall out. You're a little stiff too. I think everything else is about pain tolerance. I've had two csections, and never needed pain meds. Walking is very important too.

Denecia
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
It really depends. My first took me about 2 weeks before I could move without lots of pain. My second I pretty much felt better by the second day. Also try and ask the doctor about a Qpump, I swear it made my second one 10x easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassie2115
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM
My first two csections I was up moving around within a week. My third was a little tougher but there was a lot going on and, well, it was my third one. All three I was up walking within 24 hours. My last one was born a little after 11am and I was up walking by 8pm. If you can, get on bc before your first period after. Cramps SUCK. I was curled in a ball crying, begging my ob for pain meds lol. My youngest is just shy of 6 months and, while the first few weeks were tough, I have been feeling great since. I haven't even had any sneezing pain like I have in the past! Just keep moving after and you should be fine. And remember it is a major surgery so try to not overdo it.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I gave birth via c-section twice. I was up and moving around the next day. home within 2 days. My last one I was not only home in 2 days but taking walks outside with my child. :)

Its all about how you personally heal.

mommaofALT
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Everyone I asks tell me to have the bind up my belly. Is there something I could buy to bring with me just incase they don't have something to bind up my stomach?

Quoting Dannygirl25: Its not too bad, but its also not a walk in the park either. When you get up yourinsides will feel like they are going to fall out . Lol laughing, coughing , sneezing is rather uncomfortable so id recommend holding a pillow over your incision area when doing so. Also, comfortable loose clothing should be worn and not stuff that will rub on your incision. Ask your dr if they have belly bands for after surgery recovery.. They help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)