Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Induction advice...VERY nervous...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies

I just hit 40 weeks yesterday.

My OB decided since my cervix isn't doing anything were inducing next Friday @ 6am.

If my cervix doesn't change we'll start with prostagladin gel and my antibiotics (GBS).

After 4hrs she said we start pitocin. 

The hospital nurses said I will HAVE to get an epidural with pitocin.

I was truly hoping to have a natural no epidual delivery. 

Any advice? Should I make my wishes known about the epidural? I'm SO nervous...

I'm so ready to meet my little boy but damn I'm nervous...

Posted by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trish2tew
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM

You don't HAVE to induce. You don't HAVE to get an epidural.

Do LOTS of walking. BD(have sex) if you can stand it. Eat spicy foods. Do just about all of the stupid old wives tales about things that cause you to go into labor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Single mom or believe me I would lol I have however been walking till I'm blue in the face! We have stairs so I climb them up and down. 

Quoting trish2tew:

You don't HAVE to induce. You don't HAVE to get an epidural.

Do LOTS of walking. BD(have sex) if you can stand it. Eat spicy foods. Do just about all of the stupid old wives tales about things that cause you to go into labor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
No you dont have to get an epideral. Let them know that loud and clear before hand. And if any nurse dare try to pressure you just call the charge nurse and tell them you want another one. That will solve everything fast. Good luck
themaurer7
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Dr's and nurses will try to pressure you. You do what you want. You do NOT have to have an epidural. It will hurt of course, but everyone has their own pain tolerance. Don't let them bully you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I was induced with dd and didn't have an epidural. So that's a mute point. I would do what pp said and have fun with those old wives tales, except the castor oil (gross, doesn't work and can cause complications.) Good luck and congrats!!
4Dragons
by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Your OB doesn't get to decide, YOU decide. Do you want to be induced? If not, then don't. If you want a natural birth in a hospital with an OB, you're going to have to be firm and strong because the odds are already stacked against you even if everything goes flawlessly. You need to be very clear about what you want, make your wishes known to your OB, to your nurses, to whoever will be there to support you, to everyone who will listen. And no, they cannot MAKE you get an epidural.

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You seriously WANT an epidural with pictocin.  If you don't, you'll be really, really, sorry.   Pictocin makes the contractions SO MUCH worse.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM
You don't HAVE to get an epidural when induced.

You'll probably want one though. Induced labor is very intense. Make your wishes clear, and see how it goes.

I was induced with both of my kids. With my second, my OB was pushing pitocin like crazy (it was New Years Eve) and I went 8 out of 10 hours without an epidural. Not because I didn't want one, but because the anesthesiologist had numerous c-sections that day and couldn't get to me. Lol
armywifey26
by Krissy on May. 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM
I was induced with all 3 of my kids. Epidural was optional.
ProudMommy_1034
by 2lilboogers on May. 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM
2 tablespoons of castor oil mixed with a carrier juice .
Pineapples !
Red raspberry leaf tea .
Primrose oil rubbed on the cervix , taken orally or both .
Long walk (try for a mile) .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)