Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

20 lbs weight gain in a year?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
My niece was 38 lbs last year, at the end of June. (I remember bc I had to buy her a life jacket when she came to visit bc of the pool).... now, she's pushing almost 60lbs.

Her bday is in August and she'll be turning 5 this year. Is this a normal weight? I can't remember her height, but she looks really chunky.

Also, anyone have any good life jackets that'd hold her? She still doesn't know how to swim and until she does, she has to have a jacket on, for my peace of mind.

TIA
Posted by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amiehart62
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Have her thyroid checked
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Yes that is chunky. My 7 year old is over 4 foot and just broke 50lbs last month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Chunky. I was 55 lbs at age 9.

My daughter is 5 and weighs 37 lbs, but she's a little thin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Chunker. She needs to be checked by a doctor.

Monica117
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM
How tall is she?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM
I'll talk with her mom about it when we visit on saturday. Thanks

Quoting Amiehart62: Have her thyroid checked
kimmaylove013
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM
Sounds a bit big to me my son just turned 7 and is still around 50lbs and is on the tall side for a boy his age.

And to add another bench mark my 4yr old daughter is 30lbs and on the small side

Quoting Anonymous: My niece was 38 lbs last year, at the end of June. (I remember bc I had to buy her a life jacket when she came to visit bc of the pool).... now, she's pushing almost 60lbs.

Her bday is in August and she'll be turning 5 this year. Is this a normal weight? I can't remember her height, but she looks really chunky.

Also, anyone have any good life jackets that'd hold her? She still doesn't know how to swim and until she does, she has to have a jacket on, for my peace of mind.

TIA
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM
I'm not sure. I want to say maybe 3'5". I'll ask her mom when we visit, but she seems to be 'normal' with her height (compared to the other 4 year olds she plays with)

Quoting Monica117: How tall is she?
MrsApple
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM

My 7 yr old is almost 4ft 2in and is 55lbs which looks perfect at her height (not scrawny and not chunky)...I can't see how that weight (plus a little more) could be good on someone younger and shorter,especially when it was gained so fast.At that age,my daughter was about 40-42lbs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:25 PM

sounds alittle on the chunky side. only a doctor will know for sure. depends on her build too. my DS is 5 years old and weighs 49 lbs you would never know lookig at him hes solid. most people dont realize how heavy he is and solid until you actually pick him up.

he eats healthy its just the way hes built.

however 20 lbs is alot in one year for a child, i would def consult her pediatrician for sure!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)