Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am so sick of my father *Tad long*

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Ley
  • 17 Replies
My father is $7,000 behind in child support. He is court-ordered to continue paying child support on me and my brother (I'm 22, BJ is 20) until his back child support for us is paid. He still has to pay on my younger brother and sister as well (Dale is 16, Christa is 14). He pays $121 a week for the 4 of us.

My mother is having some very bad health problems right now so working is not an option for her. She is in the process of applying for disability. My stepdad works 40 hours a week making $8.00 an hour. BJ has an eating disorder and gets into food all the time (he is autistic so he lives with my mother still). So my mom has to buy extra food every week to make up for what BJ eats.

In all honesty, my mom and stepdad are struggling. BJ needed new shoes a few weeks ago. She called my dad (he lives in Michigan) asking him if he could send her some money for new shoes for BJ. He told her no, as he pays child support and that's what it's for. I ended up buying BJ's shoes. Now, my mom has to use child support to buy food. My dad knows this. Three years ago, I had to buy school clothes for my sister as my mom did not have the money for all three. My dad refused to help. I called my dad after I has finished taking my sister shopping and told him since he couldn't step up and help out, that the least he could do was pay me back half. He told me he would. He never did.

In the CO, it is stated that he has to pay my mom half of what she spends on school supplies. He has never done this. He takes my stepbrothers out to Chuckie Cheese's ALL the time. He takes my stepmom to get her hair and nails done constantly,band is always buying beer and whatever else he wants.

He called my mom 2 weeks ago asking if she could ask for child support to be lowered as he couldn't afford $121 a week anymore. She laughed at him and told him if he can afford to take his stepsons out all the time and pay for his wife's salon trips weekly, he can afford $121 a week. She told him she was done and that she was taking him back to court to get child support raised (he purposely lost his job right before the child support hearing when they split so he would have to pay the bare minimum). She set up an appointment with the prosecutor's office on the 31st. Part of what she's going to ask the judge for is that my dad have to pay child support on BJ for the rest of his life as BJ will never be able to live on his own (my dad, surprisingly, agrees with her that he should continue paying child support on BJ). Do you ladies think she has a chance at getting it raised?

Also, before anyone judges, my mother was an LPN up until I was a teenager. She had some health problems that affected her ability to work so she had to quit. So don't say she had kids she couldn't afford because she could easily afford us. Her health just got in the way.
by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:25 PM

tl;dr.  Separate paragraphs would help.

Ashley1113
by Ley on May. 15, 2014 at 1:25 PM
I had this in paragraphs. Ugh! Off to fix it

Quoting Anonymous:

Ashley1113
by Ley on May. 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Fixed!

Quoting Anonymous:

donnag013
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Doesn't BJ also get disability? But yeah, you got the short end of the stick in the dad department. Sorry about that. It sounds like he is enjoying his second family, and ignoring y'all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM

In order to get the cs raised she will have to prove that his income has improved.  She needs to be careful because he could quit before again.  I am having problems with my oldest son's bio dad.  Everytime he starts making decent money and child support tags his paychecks he quits.  I wish you and her the best of luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Yes. She needs to fight this HARD. Depending on the state the back child support on you and your brother is money he technically stole from her. My mother just went through this as well and was advised to file it as a theft. Your brother absolutely deserves the continued support. You brother being autistic should raise the child support. The fact that there are 2 other school aged minors that are his will also make a significant difference. She needs to go in ready to fight. She needs to keep EVERY thing he sends every bank statement. Write EVERYTHING down. Having a paper trail will benefit her. 

Ashley1113
by Ley on May. 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM
BJ was getting SSI but they stopped that about 6 months ago saying they needed more proof that he's disabled. So now my mom is having to take him to a bunch of tests to prove to them that he is disabled again.

Quoting donnag013:

Doesn't BJ also get disability? But yeah, you got the short end of the stick in the dad department. Sorry about that. It sounds like he is enjoying his second family, and ignoring y'all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM
If your mom has health issues maybe she should be on disability? Does her husband work? Why doesnt bj het ddisability if he is so disabled? If hes jnow ot eligible for disability why isn't he working?
Ashley1113
by Ley on May. 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Thank you and I am sorry your ex is like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

In order to get the cs raised she will have to prove that his income has improved.  She needs to be careful because he could quit before again.  I am having problems with my oldest son's bio dad.  Everytime he starts making decent money and child support tags his paychecks he quits.  I wish you and her the best of luck. 

Ashley1113
by Ley on May. 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM
I will tell her exactly what you said.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. She needs to fight this HARD. Depending on the state the back child support on you and your brother is money he technically stole from her. My mother just went through this as well and was advised to file it as a theft. Your brother absolutely deserves the continued support. You brother being autistic should raise the child support. The fact that there are 2 other school aged minors that are his will also make a significant difference. She needs to go in ready to fight. She needs to keep EVERY thing he sends every bank statement. Write EVERYTHING down. Having a paper trail will benefit her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)