Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When You Are Your Child's Voice, Literally! (piog)

Posted by   + Show Post

Being a parent is certainly a challenge, always new obstacles. This has been a difficult and challenging year for  my youngest Anthony, who has been suffering quietly and I mean that literally.

Always the loudest one in our home, but told he is "shy, never talks, in his own world, defiant, rude, or being ignorant." All of those were comments made by his teachers in the past. Last year I suspected something due to possible anxiety and came across this, but was told by his old school that no, he's just going through a phase, he must participate, he must speak or it will affect his grade.

The tears he's cried for over a year that no one understands, that he just can't speak were torture.

Yesterday it all came to light and now my beautiful, intelligent, young man will no longer not be heard, but helped. Our brains are very complex, and there are medical conditions that can be causing things to not work like they should. One of them my precious boy will over come now with the right help, and a very obnoxious, persistent mother who will always be the advocate, and in Anthony's case his "VOICE." With his brother  Aaron, he has progressed with Autism, now with Anthony we have something new called Selective Mutism.

He will excel, and be successful. I have to wonder at times why so many challenges, but we will be strong and face this head on.  Can you imagine being frozen in place wanting to talk, scream, sing, laugh and you just can't only to your family and those your family may be comfortable with.

This is my beautiful boy 

A news report on Selective Mutism 

by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Replies (11-16):
greenie63
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Yes it's a medical diagnosis that affects the way the brain reacts to social anxiety. The area of the amygdala misfires causing total silence. It's ok to not know, it's not common and often misunderstood.

Quoting UnluckyCharms:

Going out on a limb here and risking coming off as a total bitch with my reply.

Selective Mutism?  Is there anything actually preventing him from speaking out?  Or is this another little diagnosis because your child is a brat and this excuses his behavior?  "Selective" means he chooses to be mute.

Quoting greenie63:

?

Quoting UnluckyCharms:

Wait.  What?

UnluckyCharms
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Thank you for the explaination and not getting offended by my question.  So selective, as in his brain can't react properly to anxiety.  Wow.  I've never heard of that before.  Good luck.

Quoting greenie63: Yes it's a medical diagnosis that affects the way the brain reacts to social anxiety. The area of the amygdala misfires causing total silence. It's ok to not know, it's not common and often misunderstood.
Quoting UnluckyCharms:

Selective Mutism?  Is there anything actually preventing him from speaking out?  Or is this another little diagnosis because your child is a brat and this excuses his behavior?  "Selective" means he chooses to be mute.

Quoting greenie63:

?

Quoting UnluckyCharms:

Wait.  What?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Selective mutism? Geez, how much more bulls hit are people gonna come up with. I'm very much like your son, I HATE talking with people other than fam & friends. I'm very shy & introverted. Big deal. He'll live.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
My 10 year old has selective mutism. She talks at home and at school to other kids but she will not talk to adults. She's seen the same doctor since she was born and the doctor has never heard her talk. Neither has the dentist she's been seeing for a couple years. She won't talk to cashiers in stores. No adults except me, dh and her grandparents. It took her 2 years before she said something to my dad's wife.
greenie63
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM
No problem and honestly I expected negativity from some. It wouldn't be Mom Confessions without it.

Quoting UnluckyCharms:

Thank you for the explaination and not getting offended by my question.  So selective, as in his brain can't react properly to anxiety.  Wow.  I've never heard of that before.  Good luck.

Quoting greenie63: Yes it's a medical diagnosis that affects the way the brain reacts to social anxiety. The area of the amygdala misfires causing total silence. It's ok to not know, it's not common and often misunderstood.

Quoting UnluckyCharms:

Quoting greenie63:

?

Quoting UnluckyCharms:

Wait.  What?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I'm taking it that no one watches The Big Bang Theory?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN