Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I Suppose To Be Colorblind And Indifferent Or Not?

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 7:11 PM
  • 43 Replies
10 moms liked this

The Derrick Gordon gay basketball thing happened.  The Michael Sam thing happened.  Both times my response has been "meh."  I don't really care.  For both incidents I've read, heard, or been told the same thing, "If you aren't celebrating this situation you are apart of the problem."

I have to celebrate now?!  I'm practically forbidden to acknowledge skin color for fear of being a racist.  If I had anything negative to say about homosexuality I can't say it - then I'd be a homophobe.  Apparently, according to some, if I don't go cheering for advancements in black culture and/or the homosexual agenda then I am apart of the problem.

This is my confession: I don't give a crap about the race card or gender preference of anyone.  I can't sincerely stress this enough.  I truly can not physically care less about those factors of your personhood.

Not that anyone will believe me, because the first time I have a confrontation with someone who isn't white (like me), I'll instantly become a racist.  Even though I'm bickering with the person because of the shitty content of their character, not the color of their skin.  Not that it's relevant, of course.  If I didn't want my children staring at the PDA of a gay couple I'd be considered a homophobe.  Not that I'd want them staring at a make-out session performed by anyone, but let's not get into the details and just assign me a homophobe.

Colorblind to race and Indifferent to sexuality?  I can't tell what to do.  I just know I can't be negative in anway to race or sexuality, but apparently I need to lead the parade if something good happens.  I just want to sit in my corner of indifference and give the occassional golf clap without getting crap about it.  Am I asking too much!?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WildPowerMom
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Thank you for the Like.  LOL, I feel much better knowing someone seems to agree with me.  YAY for indifference!!

EmpireRegal
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I know what you mean.  I worked at this place where we use to call the Stock Boy position Slave Boy.  Whoever had to work that spot was at everyones bidding to run boxes and supplies and refill anything that was needed or left behind.  It was a tough spot that required a lot of running.  We had a new kid working for us and didn't think anything of it.  When his rotation came up for it I told him "You are the slave boy today."  It was a second thought that he was black.  It was just what we called it. 

He filed a report to the manager, and it was a nightmare.  Management had a meeting and everyone had to apologize to him.  I'm not trying to minimize the horror of slavery in the world.  I just didn't know we couldn't ever use the word slave again. 

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on May. 16, 2014 at 3:57 PM
3 moms liked this

You just can't win either way

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Do you recogized that people, historically, have been oppressed because of their skin color or sexuality?  Do you think that oppression is wrong?  Do you feel that people of color and and people who are homosexual being represented in a positive light in media is a giant step toward equality?  Think about your answers and then respond.  

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on May. 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Bravo!

Very well stated.

I agree wholeheartedly.
areid1023
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh please. Yes, of course you are a victim. //sarcasm.

You know most people manage to navigate through life without offending others in the manner in which claim to be accused of? You are NOT projecting a sentiment of indifference about these issues in the way you say you are intending to. You come across as indifferent to the reality of bigotry and racism, at best. Which is part of the problem and is part of what is referred to as 'white privilege'. You can be negative toward and about anything you want to be. No one is stopping you. Just accept what that makes you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Hm. I don't think you're reading the same post as everyone else.

Quoting areid1023: Oh please. Yes, of course you are a victim. //sarcasm.

You know most people manage to navigate through life without offending others in the manner in which claim to be accused of? You are NOT projecting a sentiment of indifference about these issues in the way you say you are intending to. You come across as indifferent to the reality of bigotry and racism, at best. Which is part of the problem and is part of what is referred to as 'white privilege'. You can be negative toward and about anything you want to be. No one is stopping you. Just accept what that makes you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I say yes to all those questions but I didn't celebrate Obama or whoever these homosexual sports guys are.  I think its great, but its a passing thought, not a celebration.  So that makes me also part of the problem?

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you recogized that people, historically, have been oppressed because of their skin color or sexuality?  Do you think that oppression is wrong?  Do you feel that people of color and and people who are homosexual being represented in a positive light in media is a giant step toward equality?  Think about your answers and then respond.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would you use the term at all?  Seems awfully immature.

Quoting EmpireRegal:

I know what you mean.  I worked at this place where we use to call the Stock Boy position Slave Boy.  Whoever had to work that spot was at everyones bidding to run boxes and supplies and refill anything that was needed or left behind.  It was a tough spot that required a lot of running.  We had a new kid working for us and didn't think anything of it.  When his rotation came up for it I told him "You are the slave boy today."  It was a second thought that he was black.  It was just what we called it.  He filed a report to the manager, and it was a nightmare.  Management had a meeting and everyone had to apologize to him.  I'm not trying to minimize the horror of slavery in the world.  I just didn't know we couldn't ever use the word slave again. 

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I kind if feel bad for Michael Sam. He has been labelled as a gay rights advocate and football will never matter again, except in relation to his sexuality. I follow the news, not sports, but I think it's sad that I know he kissed his boyfriend on camera but not what position he plays, who drafted him, or if he's actually any good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN