Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

There are Only 2-3 f***ing graduations...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 438 Replies
23 moms liked this
There are only 2-3 graduations needed in your life. 1) Graduation from High School 2)Graduation from College 3) Graduation from extended learning/training school (med school, law school, nurse program, etc)

WHY. The hell nowadays are 4 year olds, 5th graders, and 8th graders putting on cap and gowns?! For What exactly? The signifance of high school graduation is Recieving a diploma needed for bAsic education requirements set by our government. When I was a child, putting on a cap and gown was my Goal and I knew in order to get there, I needed to finish all 13 years of required education. Why are we coddling our children and rewarding them for NOT yet finishing their educational journey?

Graduation is slowly becoming less and less special
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2014 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2014 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2014 at 7:43 AM
48 moms liked this
Ya know, I don't completely disagree but you seem way to angry about this topic. It's not that big of a deal. People are not forgoing high school diplomas for kindergarten ones. They aren't giving up college because the graduation won't be special anymore.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2014 at 7:44 AM
13 moms liked this
I don't disagree at all.I just think it's cute when my 5yr old had a cap and gown on lol
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:45 AM
My daughter is "graduating" from Kindergarten this year. I am soooooo happy they aren't doing the whole cap and gown thing. It is ridiculous, imo.
They'll be doing a small thing in the auditorium, though.
This school seems pretty sensible so far.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 16, 2014 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids haven't had a cap and gown graduation I have a ds in 6th grade and dd in 1st. My ds had a little ceremony at the end of 5th grade but no cap or gown.

In 86 or 87 when I graduated from K we all got caps and gowns.
baquick
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I am ok with 5th grade parties (end of elementary school here) and 8th grade parties (end of middle school) to celebrate a new place in life (going to middle school and high school), but "graduations" for that are silly, especially kindergarten!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM
3 moms liked this
Nah, not angry. Just frustrated that I'm short staffed at work today because 3 of my employees had to attend their child's "graduation", in which NONE of the children are actual high school graduates..

Quoting Anonymous: Ya know, I don't completely disagree but you seem way to angry about this topic. It's not that big of a deal. People are not forgoing high school diplomas for kindergarten ones. They aren't giving up college because the graduation won't be special anymore.
sjenkins8208
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM
19 moms liked this
Well 20 years ago I had a kindergarten graduation. We also had an 8th grade graduation.....this isn't a "new" trend. However if you don't like the idea, you and your child don't have to go
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:48 AM
2 moms liked this
We had 6th and 8th grade graduations, though not with caps and gowns. More end of year ceremonies where they did all the awards, like recognizing the best grades and athletes.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 16, 2014 at 7:48 AM
I'm 36 and I had an elementary school graduation. But, I agree with you.

Fix your title before the CM goddesses will do it for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)