Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Those of you that claim that Christians are NOT persecuted....

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM
  • 282 Replies
2 moms liked this

but are only the ones doing the persecuting...this woman would beg to differ.

Grace Jennings-Edquist  

prisonerhands 380x253 8 months pregnant and shes going to die. Because of her religion.

She is eight months pregnant.

She is mother to a 20-month-old baby.

She is a 27-year-old Christian woman married to the Christian man she loves.

And this morning, she was sentenced to death in a Sudanese court for refusing to convert to Islam, the religion of her estranged father.

Meriam Yehya Ibrahim was  convicted on charges of ‘apostasy’ — the abandonment of one’s religious faith — by a court in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, on Mothers’ Day.

She was also convicted of “adultery” — not because she had been unfaithful to her husband, but because her marriage to a Christian man from South Sudan is considered void under Sharia law as practiced in the east African country.

Meriam was given three days to recant her faith or face a possible sentence of death.  But she refused to do so, having been raised by her mother as an Orthodox Christian after her Muslim father reportedly abandoned the pair when Meriam was six.

In Meriam’s sentencing hearing the court criticised her for insisting on “not returning” to her father’s religion, AFP reports.

“We gave you three days to recant but you insist on not returning to Islam. I sentence you to be hanged to death,” the judge reportedly told the woman.

The defendant replied: “I am a Christian and I never committed apostasy.” 

The court also sentenced her to 100 lashes for ‘adultery’.

weddingphoto4 380x213 8 months pregnant and shes going to die. Because of her religion.

Meriam Yehya Ibrahim and Daniel Wani on their wedding day.

Her husband, 30-year-old Daniel Wani, told CNN he feels completely helpless.

“I’m so frustrated. I don’t know what to do,” Mr Wani said on Thursday.

“I’m just praying.”

Amnesty International has condemned the decision as “apalling” and “truly abhorrent”.

“Adultery and apostasy are acts which should not be considered crimes at all. It is flagrant breach of international human rights law,” said Amnesty International’s Sudan researcher Manar Idriss in a statement released this morning.”

“Meriam is a prisoner of conscience, convicted solely because of her religious beliefs and identity, and must be released immediately and unconditionally,” he said.

“The right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion, which includes the freedom to hold beliefs, is far-reaching and profound; it encompasses freedom of thought on all matters, personal conviction and the commitment to religion or belief.”

Foreign embassies in Sudan — which has a majority Muslim population and is one of the most difficult countries in the world to be a Christian, according to international religious freedom monitors — are urging the government to reverse course.

“We call upon the Government of Sudan to respect the right to freedom of religion, including one’s right to change one’s faith or beliefs, a right which is enshrined in international human rights law as well as in Sudan’s own 2005 Interim Constitution,” the embassies of the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Netherlands said in a statement.

“We further urge Sudanese legal authorities to approach Ms. Meriam’s case with justice and compassion that is in keeping with the values of the Sudanese people,” they said.

Meriam was arrested and charged with adultery in August last year, when a family member reportedly claimed she was committing adultery because of her marriage to a Christian man. The court added the charge of apostasy in February, when Meriam asserted that she was a Christian and not a Muslim.

pregnantwoman 380x570 8 months pregnant and shes going to die. Because of her religion.

Meriam is eight months pregnant.

Since Meriam is pregnant, her flogging and death sentence will be administered after she has given birth in June.

In past cases involving pregnant women the Sudanese government waited until the mother weaned her child before executing any sentence, Christian Solidarity Worldwide spokeswoman Kiri Kankhwende told CNN.

Author’s note: This article deals with one extreme penalty imposed under Sharia law; we hope it goes without saying that the vast majority of Muslims are peace-loving people who would be appaled by this decision. 

by on May. 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catcameback
by on May. 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM
44 moms liked this

they are persecuted in some countries.  But not in North America.  In North America the people who think they are being "persecuted" are simply confronted with a differing opinion in most cases.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on May. 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this

oh Christians ARE definitely persecuted in other countries. In America? Not so much but around the world, yes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM
14 moms liked this
It's not just Christian, she would have been treated this way if she claimed ANY religion but Islam.
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on May. 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I do agree & I am a Christian. I was tortured in school by a few people because I was a Christian but I still don't call it persecution.  Just a few bullies who chose my faith to mock in very cruel and disgusting ways (dead cats on my porch, dead animals hanging from my trees and such)

Quoting catcameback:

they are persecuted in some countries.  But not in North America.  In North America the people who think they are being "persecuted" are simply confronted with a differing opinion in most cases.

"My hope is anchored on the other side" -Switchfoot

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

yes many Christians are persecuted in all parts of the world even here in North America , its just the ones here in America that persecute Christians are the ones who say it doesnt happen in North America.

LadyVoldemort
by on May. 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Quoting catcameback:

VintageWife
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Oh my gosh :*(
catcameback
by on May. 16, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Assholes like that are bullies, if it wasn't your religion, it'd have been something else they picked on someone for.

Sorry you went through that, that's messed up :(

What ended up happening? What made them stop?

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I do agree & I am a Christian. I was tortured in school by a few people because I was a Christian but I still don't call it persecution.  Just a few bullies who chose my faith to mock in very cruel and disgusting ways (dead cats on my porch, dead animals hanging from my trees and such)

Quoting catcameback:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2014 at 9:27 AM
That's terrible :(
LadyVoldemort
by on May. 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM
12 moms liked this

persecuted how? by being forced to accept that not everyone is going to accept the christian law as law of the land? by being forced to accept that not everyone will believe what Christians do? I'm a Christian myself and trust me, I do not feel persecuted at all

Quoting Anonymous:

yes many Christians are persecuted in all parts of the world even here in North America , its just the ones here in America that persecute Christians are the ones who say it doesnt happen in North America.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN