Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I would never medicate my kids...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
1 mom liked this
If my child is diagnosed with ADHD it would be after multiple medical opinions. DH works in the medical field and I work in education. We have agreed that we would never give our kids ADHD medication.

I bring this up because of the middle kid. He has a lot of energy and his teacher suggested that he is more active than other boys his age.

If your child has a lot of energy what do you do for him/her? I teach a much older age group, so I have little experience with elementary students.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2014 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Start with dietary changes. Dyes in particular.
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on May. 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM
2 moms liked this
My husband has ADHD, so it's almost a given my son will have it too. We avoid certain dyes, limit sugar. On especially active days, a small cup of black coffee to help calm him down.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2014 at 11:38 PM
My dd doesn't have ADHD but she is medicated. She takes a sleeping med. otherwise she stays up for days then crashes once she crashes she could sleep for almost 24 hours. She literally doesn't get tired. She didn't sleep through the night until we decided to put her on meds when she was 5. We waited until she started school. We had no choice really. She has to sleep.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2014 at 11:38 PM
8 moms liked this

Sounds like you've never delt with a kid that really has ADHD. It's not just a hyper kid.

LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on May. 16, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Lots and lots of outside time. Piano lessons are great for active minds and other activities. Lots of parental monitoring because ADHD kids are a lot more likely to have sex early and try drugs. It's part of the whole impulsive part of it. ADHD kids are typically very impulsive and disregard consequences. The result is, if it feels good they will do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 16, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I would not medicate either. I would change diet, remove dyes and artificial flavorings.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on May. 16, 2014 at 11:41 PM
I should also mention that he's 4, so medicating isn't an option. Neither is a diagnoses quite yet. But we have already agreed that should a diagnoses come, medicating will be our son's choice. My husband wasn't treated as a child (although he was diagnosed. His parents don't believe ADHD exists) and survived, but we feel that since we are armed with knowledge we can help our son better should he not want to be medicated.

Quoting An0nym0use: My husband has ADHD, so it's almost a given my son will have it too. We avoid certain dyes, limit sugar. On especially active days, a small cup of black coffee to help calm him down.
FabAnonLife
by on May. 16, 2014 at 11:43 PM

I'm with ya

sdsstargazer
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2014 at 11:43 PM
We did diet change and therapy, in the end medication helped. After he started the meds (an extremely low dose) he said his head was quiet. He was able to focus on one or two things at once. Before that, it was like twenty ideas happening at once for him. It gave him a headache. He didn't like it. He prefers being on his meds although I don't give them to him on weekends and try meditation and other methods since he is not on the classroom. It is not as effective now since he is only 7, but we will see as he gets older.
mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Wish I didn't have to medicate my dd but diet changes and melatonin didn't help at all and she was struggling with everything. She still does of course but the meds help her focus and she has been doing better. She has a lot more than just ADHD too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN