Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it a "Nanny" or a "Sitter"?

Posted by on May. 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM
  • 36 Replies

My sister has a woman come to her house 4 days a week, for 3 hours a day, to watch her 2 daughters. She tells everyone that she hired a "nanny". I said, "Don't you mean a "sitter""? She was insistent that this woman is a nanny. My sister is the type to brag and act affluent. So I assumed that she was just saying "nanny" to show off.

So is my sister right? What the heck is the difference between a nanny and a sitter anyway? I always thought that a nanny is someone who raises your kids full time. They sometimes even live in the home. They even travel with the family on vacations. A sitter is someone who watches your kids part time for a few hours while you are out. Am I wrong?

by on May. 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Who cares as long as the kids are well cared for?
Kmary
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:34 AM

a person, typically a woman, employed to care for a child in its own home

^^from dictonary.com

So yeah, her definition works.  Not really something to worry about, though, no?

hesmyking_alex
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM
We just hired a live in nanny.
The nanny will live with us for a year she will travel with us and run errands and things like that. Basically a nanny is a full time job (imo)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Jealous?
newfound09
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM
This

Quoting Kmary:

a person, typically a woman, employed to care for a child in its own home

^^from dictonary.com

So yeah, her definition works.  Not really something to worry about, though, no?

aandt1999
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:37 AM

A nanny typically does a lot more than a sitter. Cooks, cleans, shops, goes on trips with the family, etc. 

CampClan
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:37 AM
I always thought a nanny was live in & took on the role of a teacher & chauffeur at times. My friend nannies & she lives with the family for a week (Thursday night through Tuesday morning) while the mom sleeps during the day cuz she works nights. During the day she takes the kids to different activities (paid for by mom if there is a fee) & does some preschool things with the girls (ages 4 & 2). She also takes carte of breakfast, lunch, & dinner as well as laundry & any other cleaning or errands mom can't get done.
godsavethequeen
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Our nanny arrives at 7:30 am and leaves at 7pm. She is with us 5 days a week. She is definitely not just a sitter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM

When I lived in someones home to care for their children, I was called a Nanny.

When I went to someones home to watch their children for a few hours occasionally, I was called the babysitter.

mamakenzi
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Personally I think when they come to your house it's a nanny. If you take the kids to them it's a sitter. I also think it's a sitter if it's a teenager during the evenings or in the summer. But a nanny if it is an adult during the day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)