Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have anyone like this in your family?

Posted by on May. 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM
  • 39 Replies
5 moms liked this

My mom keeps her brother, my uncle, with her because he is mentally handicap and cannot live on his own. He was born breech and the oxygen to his brain was cut off which caused the handicap (this is what I was told, but 3 of her 5 children are this way). 

We call him "Buddy". He is 45 now and since I was a little kid I always remember him being exactly the same.

He has the mentality of about a 9-year old, which is perfect for my boys, 7 and 9. I remember when I was their age, Buddy was the best playmate. He loves video games, he's very outgoing, but the best thing is he is an adult and has the strength and size of an adult. He was the best to play with. He could lift us up into trees and cut branches for us to build things with.

And it's just funny to see him playing with my kids the same way as when we was little. Usually, your childhood friends grow up with you. Not Buddy, he will always be a childhood friend to children. He stays with us most weekends because my mom works and is gone from Fri until Mon morning and he can't stay by himself that long.

He's great company for adults too. It's fun to watch scary movies with him, he gets scared but at the same time thinks it's hilarious and will laugh his ass off. Everything is funny to him, he is always smiling/laughing. 

Now his brother, Edward, is the opposite. He is just as mentally handicap as Buddy, but maybe even a little worse. And in a very violent way. He is always in jail, he likes knives and he likes to break things. I wouldn't allow him to stay overnight at my house. A short visit is the limit with him, he's 6'4, 250 lbs and scary to me. Very unpredictable. 

Anyway, here is Buddy with my 2 boys and their friends.

by on May. 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Awww Buddy!!!!!
Missdameanor
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM
I'm so glad he has a loving family like yours!
ShoeStrings
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Quoting Missdameanor: I'm so glad he has a loving family like yours!

Me too, he is so good hearted it would be very easy for someone to take advantage of him. He would do anything anyone ask him to do, you really have to watch him like a kid, lol. 

almburr
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM
It's great he has a loving family.

Has your mother made provisions in the event she should pass before your uncle? Is she his legal guardian?
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM

That is so sweet :). And your boys look like they love having him in their group!

ShoeStrings
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Quoting almburr: It's great he has a loving family. Has your mother made provisions in the event she should pass before your uncle? Is she his legal guardian?

She has control of his checks and all that. If something happened to her, he would come to me. Everyone would be agreeable to that and I would just go to the ss office and get things changed over to my name. He doesn't technically have a legal guardian, but power of attorney I think is what my mom has. She has control of his money and medical cards to take thim to the dr and all that. It's always been that way, so I assume it wouldn't be a big deal. 

ShoeStrings
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh yes, he is the group "leader" and loves the role, lol. The tree house has recently been converted into a "furniture shop" and Buddy is the mananger of it all. He builds the furniture (he is actually pretty good at making little tables and stuff from the trees and woods) and he has each neighborhood kid a position. A cashier, a cleaner, etc. lol It's funny to watch him tell them what to do and they get such a kick out of it. 

Quoting sheramom4:

That is so sweet :). And your boys look like they love having him in their group!

Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Its so good to hear of a situation like this instead of the usual "he's mentally disabled and is dangerous" we hear so much about on here. Thanks for sharing! Go Buddy!
almburr
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM
It's very important to have a legal guardianship in place. As well as POA for medical. If you were to take him in. You would need to petion the court to do so.

It's wonderful that you'd be willing to take him in. Does he socialize with his peers?

Quoting ShoeStrings:

Quoting almburr: It's great he has a loving family.

Has your mother made provisions in the event she should pass before your uncle? Is she his legal guardian?

She has control of his checks and all that. If something happened to her, he would come to me. Everyone would be agreeable to that and I would just go to the ss office and get things changed over to my name. He doesn't technically have a legal guardian, but power of attorney I think is what my mom has. She has control of his money and medical cards to take thim to the dr and all that. It's always been that way, so I assume it wouldn't be a big deal. 

ShoeStrings
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I've taken him to the dr before, they don't ask for anything. He has a state issued ID and his medical/ss cards is all they ask for. I don't think he's required to have a guardian. I know they have the power of attorney thing, but both his and her name are on the checks and either one can cash it. She always deals with his medical stuff too (which isn't much, he is generally healthy). But I will ask mom about what you said, thanks.

Oh, and he doesn't really have "peers" I guess. He would rather hang out with kids about the age of my boys or me than anyone else. He also goes to my brother and sil sometimes on the weekend, he loves it over there, they have four-wheelers and stuff. He has a ton of family around him that he loves and IDK anyone else like him to have him socialize with.

Quoting almburr: It's very important to have a legal guardianship in place. As well as POA for medical. If you were to take him in. You would need to petion the court to do so. It's wonderful that you'd be willing to take him in. Does he socialize with his peers?
Quoting ShoeStrings:

Quoting almburr: It's great he has a loving family. Has your mother made provisions in the event she should pass before your uncle? Is she his legal guardian?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)