Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"I don't want to wait tables where all the black people go"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 337 Replies
...said my BLACK co-worker. She said black restaurant patrons(she wasn't talking about fine dining) tend to be loud, they are lousy tippers(if they tip at all), and they complain about everything. I was a little taken aback, but two other co-workers(one black, one white) concur with everything she said. I've never waited tables, so I don't know.

I have two questions about this:

1. For those who have waited tables, do you find what she said to be true?

2. When someone makes a generalized remark that stereotypes a group of people, do you put any more stock in their opinion if they are a MEMBER of the group they're stereotyping?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM
4 moms liked this
1. True.

2. Ambivalent.

3. This will poof.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Agree 100%

Quoting Anonymous: 1. True.

2. Ambivalent.

3. This will poof.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM
12 moms liked this
I'm white But I am married to a black man. Black people act like someone owes them something. They barely tip and yes they complain about everything.
mamaelle88
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM
7 moms liked this
My dad is white and is loud and a lousy tipper... but he is also older (67) so how about we stero type elders in there too.

It doesn't have anything to do with race. It just depends upon each individual person and what they are use to giving. I waited tables, but I never complained on tips, I just got use to it and didn't give a crap anymore. If she doesn't like what her job is and what is provides and I mean those lousy tippers, why does she stick by it and complain. One thing I never understood with waitresses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I am black and I was once a waitress and sadly I would agree. Obviously not all but enough were horrible to me that I would agree.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 18, 2014 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous: I'm white But I am married to a black man. Black people act like someone owes them something. They barely tip and yes they complain about everything.

That must include your husband and his family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
She is not a waitress at the moment. She is looking for a second job, and turned down an offer in Detroit for the reasons stated.

Quoting mamaelle88: My dad is white and is loud and a lousy tipper... but he is also older (67) so how about we stero type elders in there too.

It doesn't have anything to do with race. It just depends upon each individual person and what they are use to giving. I waited tables, but I never complained on tips, I just got use to it and didn't give a crap anymore. If she doesn't like what her job is and what is provides and I mean those lousy tippers, why does she stick by it and complain. One thing I never understood with waitresses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
I live in a town with a HBC & they used to have an open door policy (if you can pay, you can attend) this attracted some really shady & uncaring ppl. Those students had a rep for dining & ditching among many other things. I also have a friend who graduated there & she was nothing like that. But I would cringe inside when anyone wearing this school's stuff came in. This stereotype was generally true
BAMFSFW
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
3 moms liked this
Waited tables for years, yes blacks being bad tippers it's true. It's also true that whenever someone just won't stop talking & you've got to awkwardly pry yourself away from the table it's always an older white guy. Or when it's a couple & she's mega bitch thinking your being nice means your flirting w/ "her" man, it's always a white girl.
mamaelle88
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Ah, well gosh it's Detroit for Petes sake. Lmao

Quoting Anonymous: She is not a waitress at the moment. She is looking for a second job, and turned down an offer in Detroit for the reasons stated.

Quoting mamaelle88: My dad is white and is loud and a lousy tipper... but he is also older (67) so how about we stero type elders in there too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)