Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

so what is considered special needs enough

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
To apply for social security? My son has a couple of issues. One was taken care of his hearing loss, so I didn't consider him sn anymore. He is having problems hearing again. I also got his eyes checked. He is pushing legally blind. Just this alone without hearing issues, I wouldn't even consider social security. I also suspect dyslexia. We have to wait until he knows right and left without thinking before he can be tested. His dyslexia test is scheduled in 6 months. I don't want to label him unnecessarily. Edit the pushing legally blind is only in his left eye.

He has an older adult brother that is legally blind in one eye, and has ADHD. But has never received social security . I consider him normal, not sn even with his issues. I am not sure if I consider my ds special needs, ear issues can be fixed in his case, which will bring hearing back. A lot of people have glasses. But ear issues come and go. Dyslexia we have to wait 6 months to find out. So how many issues before I seriously start considering social security?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Bump
mom22boys333
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is a link...It's kind of hard to follow but it lays at least the visual part.  Did he have cochlear implants to help him hear?

Get ready for the bashing......Most of the people on here don't think anyone deserves to receive SSDI no matter their physical or mental impairments.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/102.00-SpecialSensesandSpeech-Childhood.htm

Good Luck.  If nothing else, call a local disability lawyer, they will usually do a free consultation to let you know what your chances are.

Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends upon expenses when having him treated. If they are well above and beyond those of a typical child, and his needs make it difficult or impossible to work full time, then it should be considered.
mommy2adandykid
by on May. 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM

the thing that's bothering me about your post is that you seem to think that he should get SS more for the dyslexia than the FACT that he is considered 'legally blind'.  dyslexia is nothing.  stop obsessing over it.  from my understanding, both of your sons should qualify for SS if they are considered 'legally blind'. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM
No cochlear. A new set of tubes fixed it. Yes I know the idiots will bash and trolls will troll.

Quoting mom22boys333:

Here is a link...It's kind of hard to follow but it lays at least the visual part.  Did he have cochlear implants to help him hear?

Get ready for the bashing......Most of the people on here don't think anyone deserves to receive SSDI no matter their physical or mental impairments.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/102.00-SpecialSensesandSpeech-Childhood.htm

Good Luck.  If nothing else, call a local disability lawyer, they will usually do a free consultation to let you know what your chances are.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM
The thing bothering me is you can't read. You obviously missed " suspected " dyslexia. You also missed his dyslexia test is scheduled 6 months from now. Go troll another post. Have a nice troll day.

Quoting mommy2adandykid:

the thing that's bothering me about your post is that you seem to think that he should get SS more for the dyslexia than the FACT that he is considered 'legally blind'.  dyslexia is nothing.  stop obsessing over it.  from my understanding, both of your sons should qualify for SS if they are considered 'legally blind'. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Idk, my mom is diabled to the point where the county gives her a full time pca but she still doesnt qualify for disability. I have an aunt that gets it because "shes depressed" Never understood how that works.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM
If his heating issues would stay fixed, I wouldn't consider it. If hearing keeps going in and out along with vision problems, it could make it harder for him to find a job. One by itself is adaptable.

Quoting Cymbeline: It depends upon expenses when having him treated. If they are well above and beyond those of a typical child, and his needs make it difficult or impossible to work full time, then it should be considered.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM
I don't get it either.

Quoting Anonymous: Idk, my mom is diabled to the point where the county gives her a full time pca but she still doesnt qualify for disability. I have an aunt that gets it because "shes depressed" Never understood how that works.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN