Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parakeets?

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 12:10 PM
  • 21 Replies
Does anyone have one? Are they hard to take care of? Are they super messy and/or loud? My dd really want one. She'd be the one responsible for it and paying for it (she's 15). She has been doing a lot of research, and I wanted to hear you guys' opinion.
by on May. 18, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM
My daughter wants one too, so here's a bump.
momma-of-three3
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Bump
gcstar42
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM
I had one when I was a kid (probably around 10-11 yrs old.) It seems like it was pretty easy to take care of. Just keeping the cage clean and keeping it fed. Mine was never very friendly though, so I couldn't really take it out, so I felt bad that it was always stuck in the cage.
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM
All birds are messy. Parakeets aren't too loud. They aren't too friendly though, especially if you get one from a store. From a breeder or someone who already tamed it might be better. Personally, I'd go with a cockatiel. They are much friendlier and fun. They can be louder though.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Go with a cockatiel. You can get them handfed and friendly. Budgies are hard to find handfed. All birds are messy. All birds are loud. All are sensitive to perfumes and chemicals and Teflon pans. They all need as much space as you can give them and plenty of toys. If you cant handle that, get a gerbil.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM
I will never buy one because my mother had a ton when I was little, I was 5 when I fell on my roller skates and killed one of them. Traumatizing.
They are pretty but never seemed to bond the way other birds do, they do get kind of loud but compared to other birds it is nothing. It wasn't as meaningful of a relationship as other pets I have owned. It's like having a fish or gerbil.
corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I had two parakeets as a child, Guiseppe and Fernando.  They learned how to imitate the dishwasher, the telephone and Vivaldi's Four Seasons.  I enjoyed them.  

cassie210
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I'd say a conure (sun but a jenday if you want a possible talker) I deal with birds daily. Keets are easy to take care of. Tiels tend to have the personality of white bread. They can e sweet and some are insanely smart, but they are mostly bland personalities. Conures are clowns. They play and goof off, love to snuggle usually, but they can be loud. Keets are very quiet unless screaming, tiels whistle and can get loud, but conures can be loud easily. It depends on the type of bird she wants. Ornamental or companion. I'm glad she is doing her research. It's something far too many people do when getting a bird.

Quoting Summerlion1123: All birds are messy. Parakeets aren't too loud. They aren't too friendly though, especially if you get one from a store. From a breeder or someone who already tamed it might be better. Personally, I'd go with a cockatiel. They are much friendlier and fun. They can be louder though.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM

My sister has had one and my dad is into birds and has a pair.  They're not especially messy unless you let them out of their cage for any length of time and then they'll poop where ever and whenever they need to.  They're not especially hard to take care of either.  My sister had her parakeet for about 12-14 years until he died of old age.  I believe my dad still has his.

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Conures are a lot more expensive.

Our cockatiel had a ton of personality, he was hilarious and annoying and did the silliest things.

Quoting cassie210:

I'd say a conure (sun but a jenday if you want a possible talker) I deal with birds daily. Keets are easy to take care of. Tiels tend to have the personality of white bread. They can e sweet and some are insanely smart, but they are mostly bland personalities. Conures are clowns. They play and goof off, love to snuggle usually, but they can be loud. Keets are very quiet unless screaming, tiels whistle and can get loud, but conures can be loud easily. It depends on the type of bird she wants. Ornamental or companion. I'm glad she is doing her research. It's something far too many people do when getting a bird.

Quoting Summerlion1123: All birds are messy. Parakeets aren't too loud. They aren't too friendly though, especially if you get one from a store. From a breeder or someone who already tamed it might be better. Personally, I'd go with a cockatiel. They are much friendlier and fun. They can be louder though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN