Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

breast feeding frustrations

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 12:52 PM
  • 42 Replies

My new little man is 6 days old. I really want to breast feed him. With my first baby I didnt feed because I gave up too fast and she was just so hungry. 

With second baby she was losing too much weight. 

Now I am desperate. I want to feed this baby so badly! I do not want formula!! I just want to be normal and I want this bond, but everytime he cries for food I dread it. I do not want to dread feeding my baby :(

I have had my technique looked at by nurses and lactation consultants and they say I am doing perfectly. He isnt losing weight but it hurts!!! it hurts so badly!! my nipples feel severly sunburnt all the time, How is this normal??? I am making lots of milk but with the amount of pain that its causing me its making me hate feeding him. 

Everytime I have to detach him and re-attach him I feel like I am a failure. Then he looks up at me with his cute lil eyes and his lips smacking because he wasn't finished and I force myself to put him back on and sit there in pain.

My left breast is even worse than my right. Its a bit smaller and makes less milk and I don't know why but for what ever reason he has an even harder time attaching onto that nipple. 

I look up diagrams on how the nipple should go into babies mouth but I have no idea how to get that much nipple in there!

Feeling lost and frustrated but dont want to give up :(

by on May. 18, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Keep trying. The first couple weeks are really difficult for a lot of women. Have you tried putting lanolsoh (autocorrect changed that on me) on your nipples after feeding? It may help with some of the soreness, and you can try massaging your left breast more to help stimulate it. It's also common for babies to have a preferred breast, but my LC told me to try encouraging more time on the not favored breast to help the production there as well. Anyway you're trying your best so be proud of yourself each day you make it, and if for some reason you really need to stop it will be okay. Good luck!
JulietAngel89
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM

BUMP!

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Sweetie. The first thing you've got to do is relax and quit putting so much pressure on yourself. Breast feeding is obviously important to you but don't let that notion be one of the reasons why it's so hard. The more stressed you are the more stressed the baby will be.

Find a soothing spot and let it happen instead of 'forcing' it. It's horrible to hear babe cry but he will get the hang of it and the calmer you stay the quicker that will happen. Easier said than done I know! But you have got to stop beating on yourself about it.

beethann
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:59 PM
have you tried a nipple sheild?
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM

You should post this in the breastfeeding group, there are a lot of great ladies there that probably have some great advice. Don't be so hard on yourself, stress will hurt so much more than help. Good luck!

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Nipple shields are your friend.  Babies R Us and even TRU should carry them.

It was the only way I could survive the hoover powered suction of DS2 - he was doing it right but HOLY HELL IT HURT!

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I would suggest having an IBCLC look at him for possible lip and/or tongue tie as these both cause a lot of pain and discomfort. I know pain is normal as your nipples get used to the process and babies figure out exactly what they're doing, but LT/TT can definitely make the pain worse and interfere in good latch.

ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:14 PM
4 moms liked this

Breastfeeding Moms group.  Gdiamante, Tabi_cat1023, and Gruntlings are the "holy trinity" of breastfeeding advice.  You will absolutely get the advice and support that you need.

JulietAngel89
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 6:34 PM

my second baby was TT. oh dear lord that was painful. Made sure this one wasn't already.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

I would suggest having an IBCLC look at him for possible lip and/or tongue tie as these both cause a lot of pain and discomfort. I know pain is normal as your nipples get used to the process and babies figure out exactly what they're doing, but LT/TT can definitely make the pain worse and interfere in good latch.

BentCrashings
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Coconut oil is your friend! Massage it in after each feeding and just give it time. It gets better! :) I was the same exact way but after about a week and a half (maybe 2) it didn't hurt anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN