Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son is moving out because he has a curfew and can't have sleepovers. Smh, very annoyed.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 435 Replies
My son is 20 and lives with us. He goes to school full time and doesn't have to work during the year because we finance him completely. I think it's a pretty good deal, and the only conditions are:

1) watch his younger siblings four times a week for 3 hours
2) make dinner twice a week
3) curfew of midnight because coming in any later might bother someone sleeping
4) no sleepovers with his girlfriend

He's lately been annoyed about the curfew and the sleepovers thing. We told him tough, while we're financing you, those are the rules, and that he has a good deal being able to save his entire summer pay check and not having to work during school.

Yesterday he came to us and said he signed a lease and is moving out in two days. He's going to use his savings to live on during the year. We said that was extremely stupid as he was saving up to buy a house, and that it was leaving us high and dry regarding childcare. He shrugged and said "I don't really care what you think is stupid". I thought DH was going to pummel him with how disrespectfully he said it. He went on to say that he thought our curfew was ridiculous and that we were hell to live with.

I'm just so surprised he did this with no input from us. Usually we talk everything through. Idk I'm just angry and upset that he's so fed up with us when I thought we were being good to him.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM
44 moms liked this
Well, he's 20 and done living under your rules. He's moving on independently. That's not a bad thing. ;)
Buggy979
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM
61 moms liked this
Disrespectful? What's disrespectful is you calling him stupid and it's not his responsibility to watch your other children. Good for him. I hope he thrives and prove you and your dh wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:46 PM
9 moms liked this
So what? He doesn't like the rules, he's an adult, and he's going with the adult option of moving out and making his own rules. Be glad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poietes
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:47 PM
19 moms liked this
I don't blame him, a 20 year old should not have a curfew no matter where he lives. If he doesn't like the rules he is an adult and has every right to move out. Your other kids are your responsibility not his. And frankly you were being just as rude as him in that conversation. If you want to get respect from him maybe you should try talking to him with some respect first.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 18, 2014 at 1:47 PM
6 moms liked this
He decided he doesn't want to follow your rules. Now you find a babysitter.
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

You have to look at it from his point of view too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 18, 2014 at 1:48 PM
4 moms liked this
Leaving you high and dry about child care? That's your responsibility, not his! I agree with him about the curfew. That's ridiculous.
sweettea1985
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM
6 moms liked this
I agree with him..

although it is your house and you have rules... he is at an age where he needs to make decisions and be independent. . I dont agree that he left u high and dry regarding the younger kids. But he was making a sacrifice to watch your children... you could ease up on the curfew.. if you're going to work as a team.. it cant be your way or the highway
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM
11 moms liked this
Usually parents are happy when their children turn into self supporting adults.
thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM
23 moms liked this

the only thing I dont like is you demanding him to take care of YOUR KIDS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)