Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why should I pay cs?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My ex is getting the kids for the summer. I told him to keep his cs since he is going to have them. He pays me 250 a month in cs. He asked how much was I going to give him for cs. I told him t think of the 250 he isn't paying me as cs. He had the nerve to say he didn't think 250 would cover everything the kids would need while he had them.
Ya think idiot? I didn't know 250 was barely a drop in the bucket considering that child care alone was 150 a week plus the kids activities, health insurance and all their other basic necessities. 
When I told him if he could afford to care for his kids they could stay here he dropped the subject about cs.
What did he expect from me? I bought them their season passes, travel expenses and summer clothes. All he has to do is feed them and spend time with them. His wife doesn't work during the summer so he shouldn't have any childcare expenses. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM

So basically, he's taking all of his weekends and holiday's that he'd normally see the kids on, all at once because he's so far away? 

Then no, you shouldn't have to give him child support and he should be thankful you're letting him stop paying while he has them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 4:19 PM
This was my thought too

Quoting Anonymous:

So basically, he's taking all of his weekends and holiday's that he'd normally see the kids on, all at once because he's so far away? 

Then no, you shouldn't have to give him child support and he should be thankful you're letting him stop paying while he has them.

P.e.b.b.l.e.s
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Does he pay it through CSE/the courts?  Then he can't "keep it".  He has to pay it, even though you said he didn't have to.  CSE will automatically put him in arrears.  

I don't know where you are, but you said your child support is based on you having joint custody.  Where I live, when abatements are figured into child support like that, it is averaged throughout the whole year.  My DH's child support was lowered 15% for his visitation.  Sounds to me like your ex has an abatement like that too so he still has to pay year 'round.     

mehaffiesub
by Lil' Frog on May. 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Okay I guess that's fair, I hope you have a good summer, I hope your kids do as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

CS is deposited on a card. I am letting him keep the card during the summer so he is "keeping his money" 

Quoting mehaffiesub: Hold on? If his CS is court ordered then I assume it comes out of his check right? So if it comes out of his check how is he suppose to not pay it while he has the kids?

Quoting Anonymous:

His CS is court order. By court order he is suppose to have the kids every other weekend, one week in the winter and two weeks in the summer. He couldn't afford to drive up and see them every other weekend so I am letting him have them the entire summer. Maybe if we went back to court and I proved that I had them 100% of the time nine months a year he wouldn't like the increase of CS he would have to pay me.

Quoting mehaffiesub: Yeah I wonder what the OP would do if the tables were turned?

Quoting Anonymous:

Equal rights hon,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM
In California if the man or woman remarries then the child support stops. What state do you live in?
Texor
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Typically CS is pro-rated to account for extended visits.  Not only should you NOT pay him CS, he needs to continue paying YOU.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 4:31 PM
CS is deposited on a card. I am letting him keep the card this summer

Quoting P.e.b.b.l.e.s:

Does he pay it through CSE/the courts?  Then he can't "keep it".  He has to pay it, even though you said he didn't have to.  CSE will automatically put him in arrears.  

I don't know where you are, but you said your child support is based on you having joint custody.  Where I live, when abatements are figured into child support like that, it is averaged throughout the whole year.  My DH's child support was lowered 15% for his visitation.  Sounds to me like your ex has an abatement like that too so he still has to pay year 'round.     

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I am working all summer. I am getting a second job to cover the cost of the kids activities during the year.

Quoting mehaffiesub: Okay I guess that's fair, I hope you have a good summer, I hope your kids do as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

CS is deposited on a card. I am letting him keep the card during the summer so he is "keeping his money" 

Quoting mehaffiesub: Hold on? If his CS is court ordered then I assume it comes out of his check right? So if it comes out of his check how is he suppose to not pay it while he has the kids?

Quoting Anonymous:

His CS is court order. By court order he is suppose to have the kids every other weekend, one week in the winter and two weeks in the summer. He couldn't afford to drive up and see them every other weekend so I am letting him have them the entire summer. Maybe if we went back to court and I proved that I had them 100% of the time nine months a year he wouldn't like the increase of CS he would have to pay me.

Quoting mehaffiesub: Yeah I wonder what the OP would do if the tables were turned?

Quoting Anonymous:

Equal rights hon,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 4:36 PM
My friend lives in calfornia and is paying 1500 a month and his ex and him have married again. I'm not in calfornia and I am not remarried.

Quoting Anonymous: In California if the man or woman remarries then the child support stops. What state do you live in?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 18, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Ok maybe the laws have changed in the last 20 years. My parents got divorced when I was 12. My mom didnt get remarried until I was in my last 20's. They have been married since 2004 I think. My dad was paying 600 a month.

Quoting Anonymous: My friend lives in calfornia and is paying 1500 a month and his ex and him have married again. I'm not in calfornia and I am not remarried.

Quoting Anonymous: In California if the man or woman remarries then the child support stops. What state do you live in?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)